• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual CPU questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

I was wondering what the advantages of have a dual cpu are. I was also wondering if i could use a 1.2GHz Celeron and a 1.3GHz celeron or if both cpu speeds that were on the board had to match. Do you guys think it would be worth the money for the board (i already have the 2 cpu's).

no go on the fcpga Celerons they don't do SMP and I think you need the same speed CPUs anyway but the P3s work nice I have a dual PIII with DDR and its nice

its all in the chip set ;)
VIA Apollo Pro 266 chipset that DDR266R uses steals some from the processor’s performance. However it comes up with a new Bus architecture that speeds up the rate. VIA calls this architecture V-Link but in fact it is very similar to the one that Intel has been using in ICHs till I810. Simply this new bus doubles the bandwidth of North and SouthBridge to reach 266MB/s and minimizes the delays. Of course this is a positive for the system performance.
quick link: http://www.hardwaremania.com/reviews_eng/IWILL266/dvd266r.shtml

so you are getting DDR266 bandwidth.

May I see a PCmark2002 score please? I had a PIII 733, memory score cannot even break 2000 points... now my P4 dual channel just break 8000 points.

I'd like to see how is your dual PIII + architecture V-Link work out :)

I can tell you from personal experience that DDR with dual Pentium IIIs is not worth it. I have used two boards(MSI Pro266TD & Iwill DVD266u-RN) with that Via chipset, and both produced lower scores with high-quality DDRAM than an Intel chipset with SDRAM. My Sandra memory scores were in the low 900s with the VIA chipset boards and PC2700 DDR running at 166MHZ and CL2, and Intel 815 boards score about 1100-1200 with SDRAM at 166MHz and CL3. They were close, but still lower. I guess that the scores were pretty high for a VIA chipset, but it still isn't worth the extra price of DDR.

Back