• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To make an awesome Phase-changer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Look at the Danfoss website they make very good compressors. Find one that isnt too loud and produces over 100W at say -45C should do nicly

thanks for the link.. if you know of any others besides the one in phase-cooling.com please send them my way.

The premade phase-cooling systems like vapochill and prom have hardware and software additions regulating all the processes of the cooling. Do i need something like that? Is there a way of buying/ making something like that?

ViolaDude said:
The premade phase-cooling systems like vapochill and prom have hardware and software additions regulating all the processes of the cooling. Do i need something like that? Is there a way of buying/ making something like that?

The premade phase-cooling systems like vapochill and prom have hardware and software additions regulating all the processes of the cooling.

well they have a control that turn on the system at the temp that the user selects thats all

Do i need something like that?
not really, you can just put a thermosta in there and turn you cooling unit and when the temp you want its reach just turn on the pc unit:D

I'm almost done with my, and what I would do is buy a delay at cooltechnica.com and with that I could dealy the system for like up to a minute, I think, got to check the available time selector, and when the time passes like 30seconds or 1 minute, then the delay will turn on the system;)

Is there a way of buying?
well you can buy one from a person that has a vapo or prommy;)

making something like that?
alitle difficult but is possible, I will check to see if I find a thread on phase-change.com where I guy made a list of parts and he said it was not difficult, the last time I check he ordered the parts and was waiting to test and show a final diagram:D

well good luck, and when I'm done I post some pics;)

N

compressor (bigger the better, however bigger is also louder) looks for an 1000 btu to 4000btu compressor, those are silent.
condensor
evaporater
pipe 1/4"
dryer/filter
brazing rods
normal tools
mapp blow torch
capillary tube

rparts.com is a good place to look for these things. Also try the yellow pages for refrigeration repair stores, they should have everything you need also.

if you have no experience with phase change cooling and refrigerant systems, i think you are going to have a very difficult time building a system like a prometia or vapochill. i think your best bet with phase change would be a water chiller. several people here have run systems like that with great sucess. for that, the easiest way to do it is to basically canibalize an old fridge or dehumidifier. take it apart, and basically lay the evaporator (the part that gets cold on a fridge) in a reservoir of water/antifrezze, depending on how cold its going to get, and then pump the chilled water to a waterblock on the cpu. for a system like that, you would want a compressor with a bare minumum of 1/8 of a horse power. 1/4 or above will give you better results. 1/2HP will yield some stupidly cold temps, and you will have to be creative with a coolant that wont freeze. just use the search button and look for water chillers.

if you want to take a time to build a system like a vapo, just be ready to spend a whole lot of time (and i do mean a lot) researching on refrigerants and phase change systems. you will also have to be fairly skilled with the tools involved to do it successfully.

in a chiller system, you dont really have to mess with components. just put it in water and go.

hope that helps some, i dont mean to rain on your parade or anytying. please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Back