• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got corruption problem with SATA on the NF7-S ? Read this !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now I read it throughly, it's just an interim solution. these new drivers will prevent data corruption but at the cost of performance.

This is now posted on the Silicon Image website:
------------------------------------------------------------------
SiI3112A: nForce RAID 0 Data Corruption
April 24, 2003

At this time we are aware of the issue and are working with nVidia to develop a solution to this data corruption problem. Some of the motherboard suppliers may have posted an SiI3112A driver on their websites, but it needs to be clarified that those drivers were intended to be an interim solution that just prevents the data corruption from occurring. There is a significant trade-off in performance when using these drivers so it is not likely to be the final solution.

As soon as nVidia and Silicon Image have an acceptable solution to the issue, we will post it on our websites as well as provide it to our motherboard customers for posting.

Thank you for your understanding.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll bet the final --proper-- solution wont make anyone happy.
Software fixes to hardware problems almost always mean
slower performance. :(

I think someone on here found a sort of solution that involved increasing the time before the computer shut down to allow for the array to close all the files that were open at the time, something along those lines anyway. information on how to do such a thing can be found on the microsoft website, or by looking through some of the threads on this board. I dont think this results speed loss either, just longer shut down time....

I'm guessing the performance is not that far off... deathstar has been playing with the SATA raid function on this board for quite some time, see here: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=185846 It seems that with the registry fix + win 2k pro hes getting great performance.

I'm curious to see how 'bad' the actual performance is with this temporary fix. In any case it seems that SI may have finally figured this out, which is great news.

damn here goes another allllll night session of "lets pray the drives dont corrupt" for the 20th time :(

i have to get this sata raid working in order to buy raptors for my rig.i cant do that as spending $100 for a sata raid card is stupid when my mobo should do it.

i went to abits site and the listed driver is dated last month but seems to be the current one Si is listing.

same with asus's driver from the above linked site.
SI does show this driver was released 4/24 wich i wouldnt have tested but i swear that was the same driver i used when i last corrupted.

anyhow here we go i gotta burn some proggys before i wipe the drives.this is a pain in the a$$ but ill do anything to get those raptors running :D

"edit"
i finally made it back after 4 hours of reinstalls.xp pro didnt even make it past the first reboot.im on win2k pro again and the newer raid driver.
ill keep everyone updated on this one also.i did the registry edit also.

Last edited:
im finally reset the system back up with win2kpro as xp pro sucked still.
it takes a large performance hit. 42500 sandra marks.down from 56000-58000.
this is right on par with ide raid0 tho.
why i had a 1 reboot corruption with xp pro i dont know.
i did add the registry edit also along with this newer driver.

i guess ill just have to sit back and wait and see what happens.
i need to send my part order out thursday or friday.so ill post back if i buy the raptors or not then.

I dunno, I just wish I could get my damn Board to find my drives when hooked to the SATA Device's Arrrrg

Stupid thing works great on the ATA133 channels NoooProblem there... Just can't get it to Hook up with the SATA :rolleyes:

Ohwell

DpGravy

I'm not ever going to do RAID 0 or 1. If I go RAID, it'll be 3 or 5.

Will those SATA ports still work as additional IDE channels for data storage drives?

How large of hard drives can this board handle on both SATA and EIDE channels?

Well I couldn't tell ya one way or another due to the fact that "MY" SATA chip will not reconize my drives when they are connected to the SATA#1 & #2 :(

Wish I could get them to work, that way I could find out some more info one way or another... :mad:

When life gives you Lemons (SATA) You make lemonaid!

DpGravy

DPG did you take the jumpers completly off the back of the drives?
ive had that stop them from being recognized.

if a jumper is in the master or even the slave settings it was a no go.

deathstar13 said:
damn here goes another allllll night session of "lets pray the drives dont corrupt" for the 20th time :(

anyhow here we go i gotta burn some proggys before i wipe the drives.this is a pain in the a$$ but ill do anything to get those raptors running :D

Damn, you have the patience of a saint - I would have RMA'd by now. Hopefully this isn't your main rig....

It's a bit disheartening to learn that the SATA compatibility is this bad. Are all Nforce2 MB's like this, or just the NF7-s?

djeff said:

Damn, you have the patience of a saint - I would have RMA'd by now. Hopefully this isn't your main rig....

It's a bit disheartening to learn that the SATA compatibility is this bad. Are all Nforce2 MB's like this, or just the NF7-s?
i think its more that i have to much time on my hands really.yes its my main and only rig.i used to run 2 but i find it easier just running one and having spare parts for everything.

i probly could build a second pc with all the parts i have.

anyhow all the mobos with this controller have this issue.asus for sure and im wondering about some intel mobos also.

deathstar13 said:
DPG did you take the jumpers completly off the back of the drives?
ive had that stop them from being recognized.

if a jumper is in the master or even the slave settings it was a no go.

Hello deathstar13,

Yes, I have tried with NO jumper, and with master, still it was not to be found... :rolleyes:

the only thing I haven't really tried as of yet would be to replace the SATA ribbon and Adaptor/converter which came with the Board...

Man this sucks...

DpGravy

deathstar13 said:
anyhow all the mobos with this controller have this issue.asus for sure and im wondering about some intel mobos also.

Not sure if that's an encouraging thing or not that it crosses platforms. Data corruption is a pretty tough pill to swallow. I guess the only bright side is that the standard, while 'under development' for 2 years, is still pretty new and it has been implemented by some companies with fairly deep pockets. Hopefully they get this thing right. I was reading today that they are already trying to roll out SATA II

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9194

- unless it fixes these types of issues, though, these companies really need to take a step back 1st and help get this working correctly.

well silicon image isnt the only company making sata raid controllers.highpoint and promise both do also and ive seen no reported issues like these about those.

granted they are pci cards and not onboard controlers but makes you think why SI sux so bad.

btw i just a minor corruption again.had to set it to scan disk on my next boot as programs wouldnt even open do to corrupted files.
also when it was doing the requested scandisk it lost focus and locked up :( sad sad sad is all i can say.

and yes im useing the new drivers.
im NOT buying raptors to run raid0 with either.as i would need to buy a sata raid card for $80-$100 and thats stupid at this point.

im staying ide raid0 and im buying a $45 highpoint pci card.
this really screws my plans up now but better now than later after i spent a ton of money on disks and need to buy a stupid card just to use them.

mabey if they ever fix this ill buy raptors.

How large of HDs can you use on the EIDE ports?

They will fix the SI issue or look very stupid for putting it out. I thought they actually tested these things with the various target OS before producing a boat load of 'em.

Back