• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is FSB same as system bus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Guy_Pro

So i download this program called WCPUID and see that my system bus is running at 200 mhz, or 199.90mhz. It is my understanding that the system bus is the front-side bus, and to the best of my understanding the fsb for my chip (AMD 1 GIGhz Athlon) is 133mhz, and the fastest you can get is the XP 3000+ which is at 166mhz. What's up with this? Are the FSB and system bus two different things? Or is my chip somehow overclocked?

:bang head

Thanks

The system bus in wcpuid refers to the speed of your memory. so it said 200? that 200 is with DDR speed included, thusly your actual FSB is half that, 100. FSB=System clock in wcpuid.(hopefully it says 100. :D) Your processor is most likely not 133 by default.

Guy_Pro said:
So i download this program called WCPUID and see that my system bus is running at 200 mhz, or 199.90mhz. It is my understanding that the system bus is the front-side bus, and to the best of my understanding the fsb for my chip (AMD 1 GIGhz Athlon) is 133mhz, and the fastest you can get is the XP 3000+ which is at 166mhz. What's up with this? Are the FSB and system bus two different things? Or is my chip somehow overclocked?

:bang head

Thanks

FSB and System Bus are related. I am not sure how to explain it easily but I can answer one of your questions. If you look at motherboards closely you will see your answer and that is DDR. Your Athlon is actually running at 133mhz. But, the newer CPU’s (all XP’s from old to new) run on a front side bus that is in a way multiplied (such as a P4 is quad-pumped). So you have 166 FSB but times that by 2, and you get the real speed 333mhz. DDR = Dual Data Rate. So a Duron’s FSB = 100 x 2 = 200 actual mhz’s. XP FSB = 133 x 2 = 266. Newer XP’s 166 x 2 = 333. A P4 operates at 200 x 4 = 800 mhz’s FSB. If you have an older computer that does not use DDR RAM, then 133 = 133. I could go on all day and explain DDR and stuff but I hope this helps.

actually there are no 200mhz intel chips out yet if i am not mistaken.

as of now, they run at 100x4=400 or 133x4=533

Sorry you are mistaken. Go to newegg.com, the new Canterwood motherboards do 800 MHz FSB. Asus builds one and it is $229.00.

skahtul,

you should of referred to the "older P4's" that run 4x133 and 4x100, since those are out and readily available and widely used...just to clarify that

skahtul said:
Sorry you are mistaken. Go to newegg.com, the new Canterwood motherboards do 800 MHz FSB. Asus builds one and it is $229.00.

yes, there are 200mhz motherboards but no 200mhz chips, right? that was what i said.

Demont said:

yes, there are 200mhz motherboards but no 200mhz chips, right? that was what i said.

Humm, post once read twice. Thats my new rule. Sorry, yeah no 200mhz that I know of but they are on the way.

Back