• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a Mr. Natural BIOS for the KR7A with more PCI dividers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clevor

I have been away from the AMD scene for a while. I decided to try an XP1700+ 'B' chip (0310XPMW) I just got on this board. I am running the latest 11-2002 BIOS but it only has a 1:4th divider so I am maxed out at 166 fsb at the highest multiplier I can use(12.5). 3D locks up as I am running 81/41 AGP/PCI bus. Is there a modded BIOS (like one by Mr. Natural) that has 1/5th and 1/6th dividers?

There isn't one that has a 5:2:1 ratio (1/5 divisor), the chipset itself does not recognize anything more than a 4:2:1 ratio so even if you can modify the BIOS it will not be of any use.

There is a way to enable higher multipliers on boards with 4-bit FID, but it involves soldering a resistor and a switch between two pins of the CPU socket. I used this method on my old Abit KT7 (via KT133 chipset) and now I can run a Tbred B XP1700+ at any multiplier between 15.0 and 23.0. The method is described here:

http://www.ocinside.de/go_d.html?ht....de/cgi-bin/forum/topic.cgi?forum=14&topic=22

Also, read the thread about running high-speed XPs on the KT7 in this forum, it'll help you a lot.

There is no need for modding if you use a 2100+ or higher, since their multiplier is above 12.5 and the fifth FID bit is already set to 1. They will just remap the multipliers you set in the bios (7x will give you 15x and so on)

Yes, I did a search of some posts and I get the impression it is not possible to get a 1/5th or 1/6th divider on the KT333 chipset. This sucks, as this means you are limited to the highest fsb your video or PCI cards can handle (150-156 fsb), at 4:2:1. No wonder you Athlon guys are always looking for the higher multis.

Nixxon, how come Abit says the K7RA will not work with XP2100/2200s? Supposedly because you cannot get higher than a 12.5 multi. You say I can run an XP2100+ and the multipliers will be remapped

I was pleased that at least I could access multipliers below 13 on this dated motherboard. I will try an ATI 8500 in this board as I know it can handle up to 100 mhz AGP. But I was getting odd blue screens at 166 fsb so looks like even 42 mhz PCI is borderline.

If you read this you'll understand why multipliers higher than 13 are available when using XP2100+ and above on old boards:

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158672

I have a XP1700+ and I needed to do some modding on the board to gain access to higher multipliers, and now I can overclock to 2200MHz range on my KT7 which is much older than your KR7A and doesn't even have a 4:2:1 divider (i use 100MHz FSB and a 3:2:1 divider).

If you can't exchange your CPU for a 2100+ or higher, the only way to get multipliers above 13 is to do the resistor mod (requires soldeing skills, and a steady hand :) )

And you're right, the KR7A doesn't have a 5:2:1 divider. But the KR7A is KT266 not KT333.

And don't believe everything Abit says: according to them, my board doesn't even support Morgan core Durons, let alone .13 micron Athlon XPs...

Nixxon, I believe the other way to get higher multipliers on the XP1700+ is to blow some bridges, but that sounds tricky.

I found out my 9700 Pro card can only handle 146 fsb or 73 mhz AGP on the KR7A-133R. This must depend on the board as I have been able to run 78 mhz on a P4 board. So I replaced the card with an old Radeon 8500 which I know can handle up to 100 mhz AGP. All I can say is the system now rocks! It takes a super MB, super CPU, and super video card.

I am currently at 176 fsb x 12.5 multiplier for 2200 mhz on this XP1700+, and at only 1.52 actual VCORE! It's an 0310XPMW. My AGP is 88 mhz and PCI is 44, but at the end of the day, I check using Norton's One-Button Checkup and I'm not getting any registry or disk errors so the system seems stable at these out-of-whack settings. At the time I bought it, I had heard the K7RA was the best overclocking board for the AMD chips, even out performing the KT333 boards that were out.

Amazingly, this AMD rig at lowly 2074 mhz beat a Pentium4 at 185 fsb and lofty 3334 mhz in SuperPI, 24' versus 27' for the 16M run! The P4 rig is a monster and is equivalent to running an XP1700+ at around 2700 mhz!

Back