• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What OSes will boot off the SATA controller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I know with w2k you have to load the drivers after F6 while installing or you won't ever be able to boot w2k from the SATA port.

What about winME, 98se or Linux?

Anyone get the SATA port to boot anything other than WINNT OSes.

Anyone hear or read about this issue?

TIA,

I would think it's going to be a function in your BIOS that will determine whether or not you'll be able to. If you have onboard SATA it will let you choose it as a boot device. Otherwise, you're going to need to have a BIOS that will let you "boot other device"

Linux is just a matter of searching for the right drivers. they're out there. check sourceforge.

Me is garbage, even if i knew how to help fix a problem with that operating system, I probably wouldnt simply out of principle. ;) Seriously though, i have no idea.

Much better than what? The standard MEgarbage and 98garbage? Its not even worth running a non NT windows.

98lite ran six months before I went with a clean w2k installation. Before I lited it up, it was slow, resource pig, leaked memory like the Titanic and more unstable than 95b was. After I applied 98lite from http://www.litepc.net and went with the 'sleek' 95 explorer GUI it was very stable and a joy to use. If I hadn't upgraded my PC with dual smp processors, I'd stayed with 98lite.

There are some things win9x can do that NT can't in the 16bit realm. It's for those occasions I want access to win9x. Like when I need to print double sided pages on my HP 870Cxi printer. W2k simply refused to do so. HP let M$ write the drivers and they forgot to make it possibe to duplex the pages and HP isn't going to even cross the street to help. No additional drivers will be supplied other than what came on the w2k installation CD.

98 has a driver that is awesome and lets me have all kinds of control. That alone is worth the price of admittance.

I'm looking at ME because it natively supports USB2 while 98 won't.

Back to my original question. Is the nforce2 abit NF7-S SATA a WINNT only mobo or does it support win9x too?

BTW I kept the original oem installed 95b running for almost 6 years before it finally died and was replaced with 98se.

Last edited:
I just found the SATA driver floppy in my nf7-s box and it says 98 through xp so it's all good.

Thanx for the replies.

Back