• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

neoprene and dielectric grease questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sickofthelies

Disabled
Neoprene is the same thing that mouse pads are made out of right? So i can just cut it to the size of the cpu and place it around it and on the back side of the motherboard?

With dielectric grease, do you actually fill the socket up with it, then put the cpu in or what?

Thanks.

yup you do exactly what you said, also you stick some neoprene inside the socket along with some dielectric grease so that is airtight as well.

Not all mouse pads are made out of neoprene, but yes if you have one that is, you can cut it up and use it like that.

Also make sure you fill not only the socket, but the holes for the pins. Itll be messy when you push the CPU in, but itll ensure that there is no air inside the socket holes.

My preference has always been to seal the inside of the socket with conformal coating and insulate with neoprene. Being messy, the dielectric grease is reserved for the pin holes in the ZIF socket.

Dont use mouspads, most are not made out of an airtight material.

Directron.com sells a nice bundle of neoprene for cpu sealing.

I also like to use liquid electrical tape on the mobo.

"Also make sure you fill not only the socket, but the holes for the pins."

Wait... By "filling the socket" i meant the holes for the pins. Where else would you put it?

Whats a zif socket?

hey nealric, at directron they have neoprene in 2 sizes, 1/2 and 1/16. Which should i get and or should i get a set of like 5 different sizes to be sure. Theyre all 6x6 inches so i guess 2 would be enough to insulate a processor and video card?

Sickofthelies said:
"Also make sure you fill not only the socket, but the holes for the pins."

Wait... By "filling the socket" i meant the holes for the pins. Where else would you put it?

Whats a zif socket?

Fill the space beneath the die inside of the socket with neoprene and dielectric grease... Here's my insulation guide for dielectric grease and neoprene:

originally posted by imog
Insulating your rig is really not a very large obstacle. Plan to insulate during a time when you have no other plans and will not be rushed for any reason, and getting it right will be easy.

Supplies:
You need neoprene, dielectric grease. and silicon.

Procedure: fill part of the inside of the socket with dielectric grease. insert a pad of neoprene on top of that to fill most of the area, top off inside socket with dielectric grease. cover back of die area on chip with dielectric grease. insulate the pins with dielectric grease (in holes of socket). cut neoprene to fit pretty snugly around socket. use silicone to adhere it to mobo. fill any gaps between neoprene and socket/mobo with dielectric grease, leave no air. put waterblock on and do the same around that as you did with the socket, leaving no air inside neoprene. leave no pathway, no matter how small, for air to travel from the case to inside the neoprene. take dielectric grease and cover the back of the mobo corresponding to the socket. take a pad of neoprene and adhere it to the mobo over the dielectric grease. leave no gaps for air. be VERY liberal with dielectric grease through the whole process. You shouldn't have any problems if you take your time. that's it.

any hard ware store. Radioshack might have it also.

its siliCONE not silicon. silicon is what your proc is made of.

Often silicone will be marketed as bath sealant.

Alright, everything is going well. I followed your directions and have come to the part of waiting for the silicone to dry. My question is when you put the waterblock on, do you just use as3 (ceramique) like you would on an un-insulated chip? Or do you cover the top of the cpu with dielectric grease then put the as3 on the die of the chip? (i have a cpu shim by the way)

Another question. You say to put neoprene around the heatsink. Do i fit it nicely around the waterblock, then glue the neoprene down ontop of the one around the socket, then put the heatsink in or what?

Thanks.

I think www.swiftnets.com has an article of sealing somewhere. Its a bit difficult to explain without diagrams.

you never said weather you will be waterchilling, phase changin, or using a peltier. If you will be waterchillin or phase changin you will need to completely cover the block with neoprene (or condensation will form on it also). With pelts, its not too importaint since the block itself wont be cold.

Fill the hole in the socket with about 1/4in or silicone, and then place a square of neoprene on top so it comes even with the top of the socket.

Create a large square with a hole in it around the socket so that the water block can sit on it with an airtight seal. Instead of your shim, use the thinnest type of neoprene to create a "shim" around the die (make sure that the wb still makes good contact).

Back