• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

signs of a die'ing board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emericanchaos

ok having some issues. first the HD light on the case would stay solid on. than after like a month and a half of that it decided to die off completley. i doubt the LED burnt out. plus it will flicker every once in a day.

yesterday i smelled something that reminded me of like wrotten cigarettes. it was a smokey smell but had this putrid tint to it. than my computer does one of it's traditional random reboots. and when windows goes to load it says "ntldr missing". so i control alt delete 3 times in a row to the same affect.

so now i'm scratching my head. so i manually turn the power off and unplug it. than plugged it back in after a few minutes and it boot up fine. been running ever since and the smell resurfaced last night a little bit again.

you think the board is die'ing?

after the weird HD light issues the smokey smell the refusing to boot until power cycled.

last night when it was smelly i tried to sniff locate the smell. the HSF and CPU just smells dusty. same with the PSU. seems to be coming from the lower right underneath the drives. total guess ont that though.

sure its not the drive? maybe they are getting hot... perhaps thats why you got NTLDR...i got that when one of my drives failes under XP...

i'd put my money on the drive. i'm pretty doubtful that any of those issues are due to a mobo problem

My computer has been doing the same thing latley, lights stay on, need to cycle power to reboot, even my CMOS clears itself every time I unplug the power. I was thinking motherboard aswell since I just replaced my HDD 2x.

I'm interested to see if you can fix this problem. Good luck.

BTW...I'm using a chaintech 7kdd board though.

Back