• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGP8X videocard on ABIT KT7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nixxon

Registered
I want to try a GF4Ti4200-8X on my ABIT KT7 (which only supports AGP 1X-4X), to see how it's performing with my new installed [email protected]. Is this possible, or I will ruin the videocard and/or MB by doing that?

AGP 8X is compatible with 4X. But make sure your computer is set to 4X before you fire it up with the 8x card. The voltage of the 2x setting could damage the card.

Nixxon, did you ever get the Ti4200-8x to work on the KT7 at AGP4x? I just got the Dell 2000FP LCD and I need to upgrade my video card to one that supports DVI output and 1600x1200 resolution. I'm considering getting a Ti4200-8x 128MB card since that seems to be the sweet spot of GF4 cards right now. Just want to know how hard it is to get it to work on the KT7.

I really don't know if my Albatron Turbo GF4Ti4200 is 8x or 4x... Is there a way to check this out (beside the obvious one - trying the card on a AGP8x MB)?

Anyway, when I first tested a GF4 on my KT7 it was a 8x one, Terratec Mystify, and it would freeze my system in the 3dmark's advanced pixel shader test... At that time I needed a quick solution and that was to set AGP speed to 2x.

After I got the Albatron, it too wouldn't work at 4x (freezing in 3dmark much before the pixel shader test, in the game benchmarks). But after setting AGP Drive Strenght to "DC" it works perfectly at 4x, and that's how I use it now.

Thanks Nixxon. It turns out my GF2 GTS supports 1600x1200@60Hz fine. So I guess I'll hold off on the Ti4200 for now. Might still want to upgrade to a DVI-capable card at some point in time, to try out the DVI capability of the LCD.

I have another machine with an old Voodoo3 16MB PCI card and even that supports 1600x1200. I was kind of pleasantly surprised by that. :)

Back