• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24v pelt running at 12v what hit will it take on performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qwerty57

BANNED TROLL-Silversinksam
I want a 172w which is a 24v so it runs at max eff. at 16v but what about 12v? will it still work? if so how good?

qwerty57 said:
I want a 172w which is a 24v so it runs at max eff. at 16v but what about 12v? will it still work? if so how good?

first off lets put something clear here:eek:

I want a 172w which is a 24v so it runs at max eff. at 16v

The tec was meant to run at 24v at great eff. Many people around here think that if you run a tec a little below its rated value they can increase the efficiency of the tec, wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

The issue is that if you have the tec at 24v and your cooling unit can't handle the heat, then it would work better in your particular system at 16v or even at 12v because there, the cooling unit can handle the tec and therefore the cold side will stay cold because the cooling unit will be able to handle the heat load on the hot side;)

About the tec, its rating is 172w only at 24v, if you lower the voltage even at 12v you are actualling making it less efficient because it will cool at lot less than at 24v, or just around only 86w compare to its rated value of 172w;)

ex.

kchip wrote

Went from a 226 to 156 pelt and...
My temps have never been better. I have two heatercores , shroads , 120's. Im using the Becooling PSU.

I dont know - it seems crazy. I can run 2300 Mhz @ 1.7v @ -5C idle 5 C load.

I can also run 2524 Mhz @ 1.85 @ 10C idle and 14 C load.

This is after running for a good 2-3 hours too. Franky Im shocked. I would have never thought to try this either if the 226 pelt wire handn't have broken off.

Just incase someone else out there is stumped .

this happened because his cooling unit was not able to handle the tec:D

N

yeah i think my cooling can handle the heat load x's 6 [smile] just didn't want to get another sep PSU thats 24v.

qwerty57 said:
yeah i think my cooling can handle the heat load x's 6 [smile] just didn't want to get another sep PSU thats 24v.

why did you choose 172w 24v?

i need a 40x40 to replace my 80w in my swifty ti4600 block :)

qwerty57 said:
i need a 40x40 to replace my 80w in my swifty ti4600 block :)

nice same thing I did for my r9700:D

on a side note the best thing would be to cool it with chill water or just buy a cheap power supply to increase cooling,

also are you running the swifty on gaskets, if so remember that the gaskets were design with an 80w tec powered @ 12v, if you run the 172w tec @ 24v you will definely get condensation;)

I'm think on getting an extra psu for it and add more insulation,

by the way have you deal with sparkle psu, I have one that is 400w and it has pots do you think it would be possible to increase them to 16v without burning the psu:mad:?

N

Nunez1980, I think you need a reminder of what efficiency is. It has more to do with the ratio of heat pumped vs power input than what is the max heat pumping. At lower than max power input you do get less than max heat pumping but you can get more watts of heat pumped per watt input. So yes the efficiency does increase if you run TECs at less than max, but the trade off is that you can not pump the max rated amount of heat.

doc said:
Nunez1980, I think you need a reminder of what efficiency is. It has more to do with the ratio of heat pumped vs power input than what is the max heat pumping. At lower than max power input you do get less than max heat pumping but you can get more watts of heat pumped per watt input. So yes the efficiency does increase if you run TECs at less than max, but the trade off is that you can not pump the max rated amount of heat.

doc, I understand that, but as long as you can handle the heat load, running the tec a full volt is better than at less volts, thats just my point;)

If you can't them its just better to get a lower wattage tec, than the higher one :eek:

nunez1980 said:

doc, I understand that, but as long as you can handle the heat load, running the tec a full volt is better than at less volts, thats just my point;)

If you can't them its just better to get a lower wattage tec, than the higher one :eek:

I take exception to that statement. My experimentation has shown that a tec operating at 70~80 of maximum rated voltage gives a higher ratio of cooling to heating. So running a tec at full voltage in order to achieve xxx cooling will have a hotter 'hot side' than a higher rated tec running at 70~80% or rated max voltage achieving the same cooling.
wj

wymjym said:

I take exception to that statement. My experimentation has shown that a tec operating at 70~80 of maximum rated voltage gives a higher ratio of cooling to heating. So running a tec at full voltage in order to achieve xxx cooling will have a hotter 'hot side' than a higher rated tec running at 70~80% or rated max voltage achieving the same cooling.
wj

well that is great, but were are talking about two choices here, 80w tec or 172w tec, and want to get the best cooling possible, so the only desicion is getting the 172w and it the cooling can handle the heat output them running the tec at full 24v is better than at lower, in this case there are no options to go to a higher tec;)

so if I was to plug a 172w pelt into a 12v PSU what would I get if the hot side was cool at 10-12c??

150w
100w
80w????

Back