• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accuracy of onboard sensors on NF7-S v2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MetalStorm

How accurate are the onboard sensors on the NF7-S v2, like the temperature sensor and various voltages it reports?

So far I read alot about this. It's fair to assume that bios undervolt more than it reads, so always put 0.025 more than you need. And I didn't find any consistence about temp readings. It may vary from 3 to 15c! But it's better take for real that temp reads and try to keep under 55c, but my EGO likes to think I had a wrong +5c reading! LOL!!!

Last edited:
Other than the undervolt that Miracle mentioned, I think the sensors have been pretty accurate - the readings compare to what I've seen temp and voltagewise on a couple of different boards .

the sensor for the cpu is 10c higher always then what i get with a compunurse thermal probe touching the core between it and my heatsink or waterblock. the cpu sensor is under the cpu in the socket, niot accurate at all.

on my gigabyte GA7-VRX (read's on-die temps) my load temp was 41C, right after installing my NF7-S my load temp is 48C. my ambient temp is the same and my water temp is the same.

this was with an identicle OC also. 12.5 x 144Mhz.

john240sx said:
on my gigabyte GA7-VRX (read's on-die temps) my load temp was 41C, right after installing my NF7-S my load temp is 48C. my ambient temp is the same and my water temp is the same.

this was with an identicle OC also. 12.5 x 144Mhz.

interesting....i've never heard of a certain motherboard changing temps of the CPU but, it's something to think about before you jump to conclusions.

On the other hand, taht would mean the temps in my sig are a little better...

Spanko said:
the sensor for the cpu is 10c higher always then what i get with a compunurse thermal probe touching the core between it and my heatsink or waterblock. the cpu sensor is under the cpu in the socket, niot accurate at all.

Hmmm - maybe the boards vary considerably build to build. I would find it unlikely that my board reports 7c to 10c hotter than it really is - that would put me at 23/26c @ idle, 27c to 30c @100% on air. I know the SLK-800 is good, but that's a stretch.

Just didn't want people reading to think 7-10c cooler than reported on a NF7 is a 'blanket' rule that covers all boards.

What bios versions are you using?

I've read reports of a bios update on this board dropping temp readings considerably.

Does the AMD XP1700+ chip have an on die temp sensor? If so how do i read from that as apposed to from the sensor underneath the core, because as far as I can see that one is worthless! (Im not sure which is being read, but it claims that the temperature is at 35-36 degrees?

timmyqwest said:

interesting....i've never heard of a certain motherboard changing temps of the CPU but, it's something to think about before you jump to conclusions.

actually, i was saying that my NF7-S is reading the temps a little higher then they really are.

My CPU is always 14c higher than system temp.

Right now I'm 31/45.5 folding proteins at 100% CPU usage. Stock clock for now. 1700B/NF7-S v2

MetalStorm said:
How accurate are the onboard sensors on the NF7-S v2, like the temperature sensor and various voltages it reports?

Well, with my Antec True480 my readings from various windows programs were around 11.7 for the +12.00 and 4.9 for the +5.00 with major fluctuations. Actual readings with a digital Volt meter at a Molex connector were 12.07 & 5.04 volts rock solid with hardly any fluctuation. My new Antec TrueControl 550, i set my 12 at 12.60 and my 5 at 5.25 with the digital volt meter...this results in around 12.2 & 5.05 in Software.

Hammer

Back