• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1981suede

Registered
ok, i have a number of requirements to fill and i wonder if anyone knows of a decent board which meets them at a reasonable price?

-8x AGP
-pc2700 and pc3100 compatable
-auto unlocks multipliers for 1800+
-high fsb for OC (obviously)
-normal ATX form factor
+ anything else which is good!

also will i have to reformat my HD's (which i would like to avoid) if i replace a number of components?

Cheers!

1981suede said:
ok, i have a number of requirements to fill and i wonder if anyone knows of a decent board which meets them at a reasonable price?

-8x AGP
-pc2700 and pc3100 compatable
-auto unlocks multipliers for 1800+
-high fsb for OC (obviously)
-normal ATX form factor
+ anything else which is good!

also will i have to reformat my HD's (which i would like to avoid) if i replace a number of components?

Cheers!

I like the Abit NF7 series. The 'S' has serial ATA raid, high quality on board sound chipset and NIC. The M has on board sound, video and NIC. The NF7 only has the sound and NIC. They all will take the AMD 1700+ Tbred-B cpu to 200+fsb and over 2GHz.

Read all the posts here for the last month and the stickys too. Then you can ask more specific questions to narrow down your choice. Use google to find more online info also.

As for your hard drive, you most likely will have to reinstall your OS because of the major hardware changes. Your current OS install has all the drivers for your old hardware and most likely wouldn't even boot up. Just back up what you need to keep first.

I would go with the Abit NF7-S. The sound is incredible for onboard, the board is rock stable, and I love mine so much, I'm thinking about getting a second to keep as backup.

Yes you will probably have to reinstall your OS. I had to when I made my switch from my Soyo to my Abit, but it's not that big of a hassle, just backup the drive before you do it.

I LUV THIS MOBO!

My SMP dual PPro200 kicks out a 400 frame Tinker WU every 60 hrs while this rig at stock settings is kickin' one out every day. Wait until it's overclocked :D

Yes the AGP is user defined but where is the settings for the PCI or are they just locked permanently. Over clocking the AGP while keeping the PCI locked would be very advantagious.

Back