• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte's "Top Performance" in bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marphyre

Registered
Has anyone figured out exactly what this does yet? I've seen it on several boards, but on mine, even at completely stock settings, if I turn on Top Performance, I won't even get into XP before it resetting itself. With top performance disabled though everything is fine. I've heard it has something to do with some memory latencies, but does anyone know which memory it deals with? Just a curiosity thing :) Thanks!

I always have it on because my machine performs better with it on

and I overclock and tweak the memory settings manually

I've never had any problems with it on

I read this in another forum. This may not help, but is supposedly overrides all settings you have made in bios and applies its own. It is designed to work with the Optimized Defaults option in the bios. That's why when you aggressively tweak the settings the board becomes unstable. I have not seen any conclusive testing that shows your scores will improve at Optimized Default with Top Performance over your own tweaking.

I have the 8IK1100 canterwood board and I did some testing with the Top Performance enabled and disabled, and I didn't see any performance or stability changes either way.

The only thing i can come think off is it must change the timings for the memory, cause when i use top Perf before setting the timings it locks and require a CLR_CMOS.

I don't think it's the memory it would be changing timings for...I can use the tightest memory settings and it works fine...and like I said before, even at stock speeds it just locks my system up on boot, and I'm well above stock right now and tightest memory timings working fine :) It may be changing the latency for the chipset, but tha'ts just my running theory for now until I hear something that sounds better

i have a 8igx board and top performance will only work with a single stick regardless of timings

Hmm...that's something I haven't tried...I do have two sticks of ram in my system...maybe I'll give it a try soon.

Back