• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing motherboard in an HP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i actually had a buddy with a socket A board in an HP last year. we went into it to swapout a processor and appearently weren't too carful (i think the HP was really just tempermental) because appearently the board bit the big one.

when he got a replacement board installed the system still wouldn't work.

after a few weeks of having no idea what was wrong and seeing multiple computer repair places in the area we discovered mobos have to have some sort of "tatooing" done to them inorder to work with the rest of the HP system.
this sounded like a load of BS to me but we got the "tatooing" done and the system worked again.

i have no idea what this "tatoo" does or how it causes things not to work, but if all you are doing is replacing the board you may run into this problem.

and i think if you are keeping the same case the connectors will probably be fubar unless you are replacing it with another board from HP/

SkaGoatMaster said:
We decided to buy a new Mobo (MSI K7N2-L) and CPU, and just put his existing RAM, Video card, Optical Drives, and HDD into a new case

You made the right choice...major upgrades in most proprietary systems are usually just a waste of time and money...Salvaging the Peripherals and building in a new case is usually the best bet.

hammer

Back