• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repeated A7N8X Deaths

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

I think that some component in my box is not likeing the A7N8X Dlxs I get. I have had two die ( :mad: ), and they both had different CPUs, and different ram. The similarities in instances are the Audio (Audigy), Video (Albatron 4200p), HDs (20.gb WD, 100Gb WD w/8mb cache), and my suspect, the psu, a Enermax 300w I got with my case.

Is there any possibility that my psu went crap and slowly kills these mobos over a month or so? It was fine with my K7AMA [shudder]. I mean, how many coincidences would there have to be for the psu to go crap, and have its protection mechanism go crap too? The way they died is that one day they rebooted by my command, then just wouldn't start up. The only way to get any post message (voice or beep) was to take out the CPU, and then it says "No CPU installed". The first one killed my TBird, but my XP2100 is fine from the most recent defection, as well as the ram, PSU, video, sound, and all fans and drives.

Sorry for the length, but i type fast and you can read faster, so its ok, right? :D

Thanks for any answers, comments or suggestions. Im hoping that I will get a rev2 and that will live.

Wont reset? Get a blank screen when you turn it on? No graphics card info or nothing right? Overclocking i assume?

Mine would do this also, usually only when i let the computer get "cold". Now i never turn it off.

Usually after reseting bios about a dozen times and getting really ****ed off, it would eventually boot. Try resetting the bios and moving the jumper to 100 fsb and see if it will boot. This board is kinda flakey.

A7N8X DEATH!

It's possible that your PSU could be causing these problems. I would replace the PSU just to eliminate this as a possibility. But on the other hand, it's just possible that you've gotten a bad batch of mobos. I too am on my 2nd mobo. 1st one ran stable for about a month, then I started to have overheat problems followed by voltage problems. My computer was not oc'd (all stock settings). I had 1.04 version, took that mobo back, with the video card (msi 128ti) and processor (xp2400). They replaced it with all the same stuff. This time, the mobo was a 1.06, I've only had this one for two weeks, it had unusually high temperatures, mobo would show 122 degrees while processor would only show 57 degrees at an idle. I'd start playing my game, the mobo would immediately go up to 127-28 degrees. So tomorrow, I am taking back this board, and exchanging it for the revision 2.0. It's quite possible it's not any of your hardware. I wouldn't change your settings as suggested by Clash. (NO OFFENSE CLASH )Your board should work with all your hardware (unless it's bad!) w/o having to do that. Call the place you bought the mobo & explain what's going on & ask them what revision mobos they have in stock. They should have no problem taking that board back & exchanging it for a new one.

Good luck!

A7N8X DLX REV 2.0 (AND STABLE SOFAR)
AMD XP2400 AIUHB02475PFW
MSI G4 128TI
HYPER X3000 2@256
POWERMAX PSU 500W
MSI CDRW & ASUS CDROM
LIAN-LI PC-601 ALM CASE

Last edited:
Have you been keeping up wilth ALL the users that have this problem? It is actually quite common. Do a search for problems with this board... It IS flakey, and does require scewing with it.. Unless you just enjoy RMA'ing evey time it hiccups.

HI CLASH~ I HAVE BEEN KEEPING UP WITH ALL THE ASUS USERS I ALSO HAVE THIS MB IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED... THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HICCUP AND A FAULTY BOARD. IT'S NOT THAT COMMON THAT YOU HAVE TO RESET YOUR BIOS A DOZEN TIMES AND HOPE IT BOOTS. I DO AGREE THAT THIS MB IS FLAKEY AT TIMES AND TEMPERMENTAL, BUT IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, AND IF YOU HAVE 2 MOTHERBOARD FAIL AND JUDGING BY THE NUMBER OF OTHER ASUS OWNER MYSELF INCLUDED (ON MY THIRD FAILED MB), THERE MAYBE A BAD BATCH OF BOARDS ON THE SHELF, UNFORTUNATELY, SOME OF USE HAVE GOTTEN INCLUDING YOU, SO ITS NOT THAT I LIKE TO RMA FOR THE FUN OF IT. AS A CONSUMER, I EXPECT MY PRODUCTS TO WORK THE FIRST TIME, NOT THE 2ND OR 3RD TIME OUT. I WASN'T BAGGING ON WHAT YOU KNOW OR HOW YOU RESOLVED YOUR MOTHERBOARD PROBELMS. IF I OFFENDED YOU IN MY LAST POST. THEN I APOLOGIZE. THAT REALLY WAS NOT MY INTENTION.

Last edited:
i tried for hours , nothing , hours hours .

1) Take the board out of the chassis make sure its on a surface where it wont short out
2) Remove EVERYTHING, including AGP, PCI, CPU, Fan, RAM
3) Plug in amplified speakers into the Output jack
4) Clear the CMOS (as in the manual)
4) Connect the Powersupply to the motherboard, also connect the Power switch to the MB
5) Turn on the computer it should give an voice error through the speakers
6) If no warning try using another PS, or replacing battery.
7) If still nothing, the board is the problem

(These steps provided by ASUS)

I HAVE BEEN KEEPING UP WITH ALL THE ASUS USERS I ALSO HAVE THIS MB IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED... THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HICCUP AND A FAULTY BOARD.

And this board hiccups all the time.... Mine did not even work right out of the box at all default settings. Took me about 3 hours to get it to post for the first time. Most people would have gave up after the first attempt to boot and it failed. You have to screw with it....

There is just something wrong with this board. Dont get me wrong, other than the flakeyness of it, it's a very well designed and laid out board packed with features. The Voltage limit bites, but all in all not a terrible board... Despite it's flakeyness

hi OpenGL if you have with no luck TAKE IT BACK let the reseller know what you did per asus instructions and it still dosent work get the rev 2.0

clash, how can you say that it is merely not a terrible board? It is simply and undeniably the fastest AMD board that you can buy! I say that even after two have died on me. Hopefully the rev2 is less "flaky". The problem with this board seems to be that it does not like to be turned on and off alot; other than that, it is rock solid, the fastest, and packed with goodies.

Has anybody NOT gotten a rev2 when RMAing to Asus in CA?

clash, how can you say that it is merely not a terrible board?

Huh? ESL?

Anyway, like i said.. Despite it being extremly flakey, it is laid out well and has good features. You wouldn't think that turning a computer on and off "alot" would cause it to not post, but guess what... It does

If ya can't call that flakey, then i dont know what qualifies it for the title.

MY NEW MB~ REV 2.O~ WORKED RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX NO PROBLEMS NO HEAT ISSUE NO OVER VOLTAGE (YET) I CAN TURN IT OFF FOR THE NIGHT TURN IT BACK ON NEXT DAY WITH NO PROBLEMS SO IT MAYBE THAT YOU GOT A FLAKEY MB CLASS AND MAYBE YOU SHOULD RMA IT TO ASUS OR TO THE RESELLER. ALL OF THE TOP MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURES HAVE SOME KIND OF PROBLEMS WITH NEW MB (OR NEW TECHNOLOGY), BUT THEY DO GET ALL THE BUGS WORKED OUT EVENTUALLY, SO IT'S NOT REALLY FAIR TO SAY ASUS IS FLAKEY. IF YOU REALLY THINK THAT, THEN WHY DO YOU STILL HAVE ONE???? THERE ARE OTHER MANUFACTURERS OUT THERE THAT HAVE WELL LAID-OUT BOARDS THAT MAY NOT BE SO "FLAKEY." THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT HAVE THESE SAME BOARDS (1.04 & .06) THAT AREN'T EXPERIENCING ANY PROBLEMS. I JUST THINK THERE WAS A BAD BATCH PUT OUT. THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS, AND IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU ARE IN LINE WHEN YOU'RE BUYING IT. YOU EITHER GET A GOOD ONE OR A BAD ONE!

ITEM, I DON'T THINK YOU'LL HAVE A PROBLEM GETTING A REVISION 2 BOARD BACK WHEN YOU RMA IT, SINCE THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS GETTING FROM THEIR RESPECTIVE RETAILERS. ASK WHOEVER YOU'RE GETTING IT FROM TO CHECK THE BOARD TO MAKE SURE IT'S A REV. 2. GOOD LUCK.

AND MAYBE YOU SHOULD RMA IT TO ASUS OR TO THE RESELLER.

Dealers from ebay could care less. And thats where i bought it from.

SO IT'S NOT REALLY FAIR TO SAY ASUS IS FLAKEY.

Am i the only one that see's all the complaints on this forum? It is flakey, short and simple.

IF YOU REALLY THINK THAT, THEN WHY DO YOU STILL HAVE ONE????

Want to buy it? Put your money where your mouth is. Be glad to get rid of it. I dont put it in the classifieds on here because i wouldn't want to stick another user with this peice of crap.

YOU EITHER GET A GOOD ONE OR A BAD ONE!

Flakey, just like i have been saying. Noone can argue the point that this board is rock solid. It isn't. It is the definition of flakey.
People don't like to confess that they made a bad decision. I tell the truth, good or bad. I made a bad decision.

HEY CLASH ~ DO YOU HAVE ALL THE PAPER WORK (RECEIPTS)? IF YOU DO, HAVE YOU TRIED CONTACTING ASUS CUSTOMER SERVICE? YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GO THRU THEM TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEMS YOU'RE HAVING WITH YOUR MOBO, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE ALL THE PAPERWORK. IT'S WORTH A SHOT - YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE AT THIS STAGE. SORRY YOU'RE HAVING SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I'M REALLY NOT TRYING TO GET INTO A ****ING CONTEST WITH YOU OVER THIS. YOU BEING A CONSUMER LIKE MYSELF, I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE TO SETTLE FOR WHAT YOU GOT. ESPECIALLY WITH YOU HAVING AS MUCH TROUBLE WITH THE BOARD.

I BOUGHT A MOBO OFF OF EBAY (SOLTEK SL75DRV 5) PRIVATE SELLER, AND EVENTUALLY ENDED UP HAVING SOME TROUBLE WITH IT. I DID GET ALL THE BUGS WORKED OUT, AND YOU'RE RIGHT - SOME SELLERS COULD CARE LESS. THEY SOLD IT, YOU BOUGHT IT, END OF STORY. SO I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING THERE. I DO THINK YOU OUGHT TO TRY TO GET HOLD OF ASUS' CUSTOMER SERVICE. YOU MAY GET A BOARD FROM THEM THAT'S NOT SO FLAKEY!

I WON'T TRY TO CONVINCE YOU THAT THIS BOARD IS OR ISN'T FLAKEY. BASED ON THE PROBLEMS YOU'VE HAD WITH THIS MOBO, YOU KNOW WHAT YOU KNOW. LET'S JUST LEAVE IT AT THAT.

ps. try ASUS customer service ... and no thanks, I don't want to buy your board; already have one. Just curious - how much did you pay for it?

Back