• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power supplies with NF 2 motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogadgetman

My power supplies don't seem to last long. I have had 2 350w supplies, one lasted a month and the other 6 weeks with a ASUS A7N8X version 1.04 mobo. My latest supply a 500w lasted 5 days with a ASUS A7N8X version 2 mobo. Both systems were overclocked.

Were all these PSUs the same brand? How were the rails(5V, 12V) holding up before they died? Since 3 PSUs have died I would tend to suspect the mobo. Check to make sure all the mofsets are in place and everything is soldered on correctly. I had an Epox 8K3A in which one of the mofsets was soldered on incorrectly(it was diagonally soldered on to some other circuitry). Anyway, my system would keep powering down and ended up killing an Antec 480w PSU. Later, a close check of the board revealed this damaged mofset. BTW, did you hear any loud popping noises? Check out that mobo and make sure everything looks to be in place.

no different makes of PSU and different mobos. No loud poping noises. 5 volt rail gradually went from 4.86v down to 4.53v and the 12 volt rail stopped about 12.28v on all the PSU's. 5 volt rail always seem to be low even even when PSU's were new. This is the rail which powers your CPU isn't it? and overclocking will kill it off sooner won't it?

gogadgetman said:
My power supplies don't seem to last long. I have had 2 350w supplies, one lasted a month and the other 6 weeks with a ASUS A7N8X version 1.04 mobo. My latest supply a 500w lasted 5 days with a ASUS A7N8X version 2 mobo. Both systems were overclocked.

There are more to power supplies than their supposed rating. Some rate thiers at higher temps like PC Power & cooling, while most rate theirs at 25c. Also the quality of the PSU can come into play. A cheap built high spec PSU may be a dog compared to a quality built lower spec power supply. I recommend only buying PSU's that you know from word of mouth and/or research to be of high caliber. I saw a PSU shootout somewhere a while back...if I remember right, a couple of the highest specification units actually peformed near the worst in actual performance. That ought to give you something to ponder.

Hammer

hmmm.. get a sparkle, and if that dies real quick its the mobo :p

sorry to hear about your 3 psu losses :(
but thats weird, i really don't know whats going on if you had 3 diff. brand psu's on diff mobos..

maybe just bad luck?

my mobo takes power from the 12v rail to power the cpu. I would have to agree with the others and suggest you not sacrifice any more psus to this mobo.

Back