• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i865P vs i865PE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

I have been waiting anxiously for the i865 chipset to come around to make the jump to Intel. Now, the Abit Springdales are out. When I took a look at Newegg, I only saw two differences between the IS7 and the IS7-G, lack of 800MHz Bus support and no DDR400 Support. The DDR400 thing dosent concern me, since I plan on running PC3500 Hyper-X anyway. I dont know too much about the 800MHz CPU's though. Should I spend the extra $60 and jump to an 800MHz CPU? Thanks for any info.

P.S: What do you guys think of this system?
Abit IS7
P4 2.4B w/ an SLK800-U and Panaflo 3450RPM fan
512MB Hyper-X PC3500
WD Special Edition 80GB HD

Nice system specs.

I think you have nothing to lose if you can wait two or three more weeks. I like Abit, and their IS-series boards look good, but I want to see what comes from Asus, Gigabyte, Albatron and a couple others before I buy. You might also see the price on the slower 800MHz procs come down a little, but that's a bit of a longshot.

If the 2.4C is $60 better than the 2.4B is a point of some debate. I think the difference in overclocking potential between the two chips isn't going to be that big. Those of us who don't want to ride at the bleeding edge will have to wait to see which combo of processor and chipset offers the best bang for the buck.

And I think you might be a little confused about the difference between the IS-7 and IS-7G. Both use the same chipset (865PE) and offer native support for D-DDR400 and 800MHz CPU's. The differences are in peripherals. The Abit page with all of their 865 boards is here:

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/intel865.php

BHD

After looking at Newegg again, I notice that it dosent say anything about not supporting DDR400 or the 800FSB chips. Maybe I'm just going crazy. I guess thats what 6 hours of sleep will do to ya :D . Anyway, it looks like I'm gonna wait and see what the competition has to offer. These boards are looking mighty good though

Wait and See the Light

Yea, I'm chomping at the bit too but know there are some issues that all the board fabs have to work out and fix plus price drops, maybe, and some additional goodies. I've heard some chatter about the 865 PE by Chaintech and it sounds like it's going to be awesome.

Also the 2.66 533 MHz procs are going for 218 and there is a big leap in scores for them vs the 2.4 so that might be another choice to mull over while you wait for the more refined 865 PE's

Good Luck

wait? nah, lucky for me I have more income than time and if something else comes along, I'll try that one too ;)

nomjr make sure you post your findings on this board.

which one did you buy btw? IS7 or IS7-G?

I am considering giving abit's springdale a shot.

Maxvla, I bought the IS7. I'm going to put my 2.4 that does 3.4 at stk voltage and I have two sticks of xms3500 to throw in it. Going to see what my chiller can do on this board ;) I'll start a new thread with my results...

Nomjr said:
Maxvla, I bought the IS7. I'm going to put my 2.4 that does 3.4 at stk voltage and I have two sticks of xms3500 to throw in it. Going to see what my chiller can do on this board ;) I'll start a new thread with my results...
yummy setup. i've got a similar chip and will end up getting some xms of some variety i'm sure. probly not going to do any cooling other than air though.

look forward to your results.

I received my IS7 today, but just found out I'm out of AS3 till my order comes tomorrow. Hopefully someone will post some results and I can add after a day or so of testing:p

Back