• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Iceberq

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogetadbl

My Iceberq just came in and I was wondering what was to be used on the NB? Do I put the big passive heatsink + the fan on the NB or do I only put the fan on the NB and use AS3 to attach then pin down? Also, how will I know that my heatsink or fan went down far enough to touch the chip? I don't want to go too far and crush the chip, but I also want to be touching to get cooling. I've been hearing i'm supposed to apply Epoxy to it, but what is epoxy? I have a link to it here: http://vantecusa.com/iceberq_copper.html but the install flash showed only the fan, so I was confused wtf the passive heatsinks were in there for. Also, to install the Iceberq I have to remove my motherboard and get to the back (if i don't have a mohterboard tray) right?

Here is the method I was thinking (confirmation would be great):
1) Get a hair blowdryer and blow on the Epox passive heatsink till its very hot, then take out the NB Epox heatsink.
2) Clean the Epox Heatsink and NB chip and use rubbing alcohol on both. Attach the Epox Heatsink to the SB with the pins.
3) Put JUST THE ICEBERQ FAN on the NB with Only AS3 and push it down till the pins pop (if the pins are popable).
4) Plug in the Iceberq to the MB PSU fan controller.
But I have two questions, do I throw away teh passive copper heatsinks? Thanks!

Last edited:
I still have my passive heatsinks that came with my iceberg you never no you might need then one day, and yes it's pluged into my psu right now as we speak.

jonspd said:
I still have my passive heatsinks that came with my iceberg you never no you might need then one day, and yes it's pluged into my psu right now as we speak.

So I don't need either of the 2 passive heatsinks? What do you mean its plugged into the PSU? You mean its plugged into a molex or into teh fan controller that is specified to be for the PSU?

Mine's plugged into the header on the mobo. And no, you don't need to use the smaller passive 'sinks. You might want to consider putting the larger passive one on the SB though

~THT

I was going to put the former NB stock heatsink on the SB.

Also, what is that epoxy i'm supposed to apply to the fan? On the instructions on the back it also says I need to put in a "rubber insert to mount the cooler". What is this rubber insert?

If you do a trial fit (just place the passive copper HS on the SB for size) you should find that one of those passive sinks is a perfect size for the SB chip.

Oh ic, but isn't the former Epox passive heatsink better to put on the SB? Or would you recommend the big passive one (which I HAVE to apply with a thermal pad I think). Also, I have to remove the motherboard to remove the pushpins right? Or can I just yank them out hard?

Thanks for the info THT, i guess I will do as you said and do'nt worry about the rubber thing.

Last edited:
the original EPoX passive heatsink is a bit too big for the 8RDA+'s southbridge clearance

because there are clock crystals in the way
you can cut or bend some fins off and that will do the job

or you can just frag tape the copper passive heatsink on SB
both do an equally good job

well fairly equal since demand for cooling SB isnt very high

for the smallest sink from the vantec kit, you can cut that into 3 pieces and tape them on the MOSFETs to cool them

but for the SB, you can use the large passive copper heatsink from the kit
dont use the smallest one

Ah that helps a lot. I just heard that people put the Epox stock NB's heatsink on the SB easily. Also, to put the large copper passive heatsink on the SB, do I just use one of the thermal pads included in the Iceberq kit? Also, what tape did you use for msofets? That is a very great idea!! Thanks

Last edited:
Back