• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7N8X or NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KCN

Registered
i want a new mobo and it comes down to a choice between these two both would be rev2.0 i like abit but the nf7-s seams to lack the onboard connections of the a7n8x or the second lan port. i've read the abit is proper soundstorm whereas the asus isn't.
please post experience with either board or some feature which makes one board more desirable than the other
thanks
oh and please keep to these two boards i have looked at most of them and it is a choice between the two.
KCN

do you need the second LAN connection?

I wouldn't put too much trust into Asus.......they make top performing motherboards, but their tech support is absolute crap.

If you decide to go the asus route, just hope that your motherboard arrives OK and never dies on ya.....

but aside from having GENERAL experience with asus, I can't really tell you which of those boards is better. I just know that my current asus board sucks (was never built to be a performance board though) and asus tech support is worse than anyone says...heh.

well these days is a matter of luck, I have a few asus that perform like crap, while others rock, into 234mhz;)

in your case why don't you order both and keep the best of the two:D

name brand is not everything these days:eek:

ya i'm having the same dilemma...it seems i read about as many bad experiences as I do good ones with the A7N8X. I'm wondering if its because there are so many more out there? or if its the older versions of the board?

selahrecords said:
ya i'm having the same dilemma...it seems i read about as many bad experiences as I do good ones with the A7N8X. I'm wondering if its because there are so many more out there? or if its the older versions of the board?

welll if you are wondering if you should get eh NF-7 S or the Asus you shouldnt be having a problem.. how many bad experiences with teh NF-7 S? not many

I personally chose the Asus board because it had a better layout and more options.

CrashOveride said:

welll if you are wondering if you should get eh NF-7 S or the Asus you shouldnt be having a problem.. how many bad experiences with teh NF-7 S? not many

ya thats why i'm leaning towards the ABIT and going with excaliburpc...i was thinking of getting the northbridge cooling set is that a good idea?

Definatley get the Abit, and the NB cooling set is a good idea if you are planning to run high FSB. You can leave the stock Abit one on the NB, but it's a good idea to get one for the SB too.

thanks dudes it looks as tho although the asus has more feature the abit is ahead in terms of stability and customer satifaction.
would like to hear if any asus owners want to pipe in and stop a abit landslide but im thinking abit for now.
does the nf7-s rev2.0 boards have OFFICIAL support for 400MHz fsb (i should look it up i know the asus does)
thanks again
KCN

oh and altec
GOD sAVE THE QUEEN!!

oh and does anyone know if there are up to date rev2.0 reviews for both boards as they have both come along way since release

moz_21 said:
I personally chose the Asus board because it had a better layout and more options.

just curiouse... what other options does it have?

Originally posted by altec
I dont think there is official support, but i am running pc3500 and i have had no problems as of yet
i fyou are reffering to it not having "official support" for the ram, FYI; as long as it is the corrct type any speed of ram will run on an board as long as it is fast enogh... it can be rated faster (3500 on 3200 rated board) and still run- just underclocked... or over:D

yes the rev2 is 200fsb approved from abit and imo can be rma'd if it doesnt do 200fsb.
all tho most times its not the mobos fault. usually the ram or cpu or the user is the problem.
the asus doesnt have more options than the abit.it actually has less.it has less options in the bios for overclocking.
it doesnt have adjustable vdd
and it also lost its sound storm cert.
but as far as other options go they are even.sata raid wich sux on both.the asus also lacks a north bridge fan wich is crucial in high fsb running.

as i stated ive owned both and also an epox 8rda and the asus was the worst of all three.i couldnt run but only 192fsb and i was limited to 1.85vcore.

heck id suggest an 8rda over the asus any day.
but abit is the oc'ers mobo of choice and it earned that title.

i have just read a review of the rev1.2 nf7-s at overclockers austalia and boy it makes the rev1.0 look loike a prototype board i can't believe they bothered releasing it:
rev1.0 brown pcb, no holes, dodgy lookink caps
rev1.2 red/orange pcb, HOLES!!!! (the one reason i could never recomend the rev 1.0 to anyone), new caps and better cap placement
it looks like theyve put ALOT of effort into impoving it over rev1.0
i think i've made my mind up
(unless something scarilly good comes out between now and when i buy it in a couple of weeks)
Thanks everyone
KCN

crash i found this for you
slap1.jpg

oh right... lol sorry i misunderstood what he answered with *smacks self (with a trout if you want)*

I've been doing quite a bit of research out there recently, And i came down with the ASUS, it actually just arrived at my home, so I'll have to check it first!!

I hear more really positive stories on the ASUS then on the ABit I know you have a few more options on the Abit, but it's not like apples and oranges IMO. I feel that there are just a LOT more ASUS' out there so you get more negative noises too.

We will see.

M

Back