• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

onboard audio device ac'97

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mito

Greetings,

I am a proud owner of an ecs k7s5a mb. I also possess an external cmedia 8738-6ch audio card. Which sound device should I use in order to improve gaming performance? (Note: I use 2 speakers, therefore, 5.1 isn't the issue here).

I've heard that the onboard audio may affect CPU performance. Is this true?

My specs:

ecs k7s5a
512 pc2100
winxp
geforce 4 ti4200
det 41.09

Thank you.

Mito

Both the onboard and your pci card are "software" sound cards, and will use a minimal amount of cpu cycles to help process audio and advanced effects. As for which one will consume less resources , it should be about the same if your only using 2 speakers. The 6 channel card would consume more if you had more then 2 speakers.

AllenSmoker said:
Both the onboard and your pci card are "software" sound cards, and will use a minimal amount of cpu cycles to help process audio and advanced effects. As for which one will consume less resources , it should be about the same if your only using 2 speakers. The 6 channel card would consume more if you had more then 2 speakers.

Did you really mean "hardware"? A sound card with its own audio processor will help out the main processor.

Are you sure about the onboard audio card having it's own audio processor? I couldn't find articles stating this (neither cmedia's nor ecs' sites)

Thanks!

Mito

Back