• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700+ o/c topped out @ 1650mhz? 8rda

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thrashertm

Registered
Hello,
I'm overclocking a tbred 1700+ AIGUA batch on an 8rda with a Vantec Aeroflow fan and 1 512MB dimm of Kingston PC3000 HyperX CL2 memory.

Right now the best I can get and boot into windows is 1650mhz (11x150) with 1.75 voltage. If I raise the voltage and try to get a higher clockspeed it crashes on the way into windows, and if I go up past 1833mhz I can't post.

So is this as good as it gets for my chip? Pretty sad overclock.

Maybe I'm not setting up my RAM correctly. What should I be setting it to? I have tried changing it between Optimal and Turbo and it doesn't seem to be having any effect.

There are people on the o/c database with higher overclocks on lower voltages, so what am I doing wrong?

thanks!

not sure of temp

ThePunkGeek said:
thats a tbred a right?
what kinda temps do u have.

I haven't really been looking, but I'll check it out and report back. I'm not at the o/c computer right now.

i think thats a Tbred A.
my Tbred A 1700 just barely managed to push 1.7 Ghz
you're right, they suck at overclocking. if it is infact an "A" you didn't do anything wrong it's just the chip.

what a ***** chip

lame, what a waste of time and money. I'd have been better off just getting a 2100 and cheap generic ram

how can I get a better o/c tbred? I don't want to go through all this hassle of having to send a chip back and pay restocking on it.

Last edited:
You aren't giving enough info! What is your ram set at? Is it in sync? VDIMM? Power supply?

You should be able to get into the 1.8-1.9 range with that chip. I'm writing this on a system using a 1700 "A" at 1879MHz in System 1 below. My chip is running at 1.65V, and temps run 31-32C at idle.

People keep saying "A" chips don't overclock...moost of 'em DO , just not to the insane levels of the "B" chips. A year ago, people would have been bragging about the OC's people get with "A" chips today!

Last edited:
I had the RAM running in sync with the bus, 100%. RAM was set to Optimal, the most stable setting for most of it. But I also tried changing it to Agressive and Turbo and that didn't seem to help at all.
Optimal is 6,3,3, CL 2.0
Agressive is 6,2,2, CL 2.0
Turbo is 5,2,2, CL 2.0

The memory is rated for PC3000, yet I couldn't even get above 1650 mhz, 150MHZ on an 11 multiplier, even when I raised the voltage to 1.8 from a 1.625V@1650.

I haven't changed VDIMM or Power supply settings, as I don't reall know what they do :)

Blooz1 said:
You aren't giving enough info! What is your ram set at? Is it in sync? VDIMM? Power supply?

You should be able to get into the 1.8-1.9 range with that chip. I'm writing this on a system using a 1700 "A" at 1879MHz in System 1 below. My chip is running at 1.65V, and temps run 31-32C at idle.

People keep saying "A" chips don't overclock...moost of 'em DO , just not to the insane levels of the "B" chips. A year ago, people would have been bragging about the OC's people get with "A" chips today!

try dropping the multplyer to 10 & fsb to 166 . my 1700 (pally) didnt seam to like 140s & 150s fsb range but when i started from 166 on up she flew i got it up to 1.8 when i ran out of voltage on my a7v8x.

Back