• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCability of the MSI 875P Neo ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tweaky

I'm planning to buy a new Canterwood motherboard but I'm asking about the OCability of this board? Normally MSI is not that much in OCing, but when they say it's made for OCing (CoreCell) I'm just wondering of they're right? :S

This board appears to be built for the extreme. Asusboards will be doing a review on it very soon so hold off buying one.

A review that you may want to look at in the meantime is here.

Man is this a hot thread or what.(LOL) I read the review at hardwarzone and it would seem this board would be the king of overclocking kings. I want one but waiting for the reviews is going to be tough.

I have one on order.... :D should be here monday

but no chip to test with yet :eek:, I'll only be using a 2.4B trying for high FSB

make no mistake as soon as the 2.4Cs come in I''ll get one and push this board to the limit

Im gettin one aswell .. but ill have to wait untill the 25th of may.. gettin the board an a 3.0ghz(800fsb) cpu + 512mb of DDR433 memory :) going to push my system to the limits.. :)

Cant wait untill the 25th damn.. :D

PrometheusN

Registration Date: May 2003
875P NEO OC Won't Work

This is Prometheus, a reviewer from AsusBoards, HardForums, and AnadTech. I just got the 875P NEO FIS2R tha I am trying to review with a 2.4 SL6RZ. The problem is, no matter WHAT I set in the Frequency section and save - values I know work with my memory (Corsair 3200LL) and CPU - the system says it is booting at the set value and then actually has booted at the 533 bus setting. Can you please shed some light on what I am doing wrong or what is wrong with the board.

I updated to 1.2 BIOS thinking it might be a BIOS issue. This is also the WORST BIOS I have ever seen in trying to figure ANYTHING out. The SATA RAID section is particularly horrible. I had heard great things about this board, but I can not even do my review as things now stand.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Damn... but i think it could be a simple matter of difference in bios setups and stuff like that.. we have to keep in mind that the 875chip is brand new. and that i myself have had quite some problems with my Asus P4B533-e an i still am havin but tnx to some cool guys i finally manage to clock my 2.4 to 2.7 an up..

but tnx a milion for the info ..

I read some more or longer into that Thread at MSI an found out that it was only a bios problem for the people using the 533mhz fsb cpu´s .. the bios 1.0 version fixes the problem with 533mhz cpu´s .. the 1.1 and 1.2 bios is optimezed for 800mhz cpu´s...

im still getting this board :)

the Corsair LL codules are notorious for not cooperating with Canterwood chipset... Intel released a statement regular modules are OK though... :)

BTW my mobo won't be in till Friday :mad: I was expecting it tomorrow

alcky said:
the Corsair LL codules are notorious for not cooperating with Canterwood chipset... Intel released a statement regular modules are OK though... :)

You mean that regular Corsair modules are OK then? Do you have a link to this statement. Am just about to buy another stick of Corsair.

Anandtech has posted their review of the MSI board..

I havent seen anyone with problems with OCZ memory so im going for a dual channel pair of 512mb from them :)

tweaky found this in the anandtech review

We are being quite honest when we say that we can find very little wrong with this motherboard (save a few early BIOS issues that pop up with any newly introduced product). The features, price, overclocking-friendly setup and availability of this board are all exactly what we would want from our ideal desktop motherboard. In fact, MSI currently has a low-cost version of this board, though the price isn't really all that "low" at $175. This motherboard is called the MSI 875P Neo-LSR and is exactly the same as the 875P Neo-FIS2R save the onboard IEEE 1394 FireWire controller, Intel PRO/1000CT Gigabit LAN (CSA), and Promise RAID controller (only two Serial ATA connectors via the ICH5R South Bridge).

that msi mobo is really good beast
but i don't like msi
i prefer asus (but abit ic-7 is great ocing mobo too)

I've ordered it by MyCom in the Netherlands. There they got only 4 left. BTW I saw in the review that they used PC3200 memory from Corsair without any problems :)

And now I saw that it is a really OCer that beats out his compatitors :p

Last edited:

Titan..

I know how you feel.. i had an MSI a while back.. when i used to be an AMD freak.. but for the IC7-G or standard version there is too little Vcore voltage to use.. and on the asus well i have an asus now an im really really annoyed with it.. as i had an epox board before without all the fuss on it an my 2.4ghz booted into windows with Intel standard HSF at 3ghz.. so ill take my chances on the MSI board.. even if Epox has an 875 chip board coming out in a day or two..

could be that i switch to the epox board if i can read a descent an thourough review about it :)

Nice one tweaker.. i hope that you have a hell of an OC experience with the MSI board... ;)

damn this board OC´s well even with the low vcore of 1.6 :( ... 297mhz fsb ... over 1100 quad pumped fsb .. ohh now im in a though spot :)

got the quickest reply email ever from epox.... dont know if im supposed to post what it says.. so i wont for now.. untill a couple of days.. but all I can say is that its good news though :)

Back