• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT IC7 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tugmaster666

Registered
was about to order my IC7 and wanted to check id my hard drives and graphics cards would be compatable until i had the cash to replace them.

I currently have 1 HD 100ATA and one 133ATA

Ge-force 2 gts 4x agp

Is this board backwards conmpatable or do i have to get the credit card out for new HD and GC striaght away?/

tugs
:cool:

I have not yet ordered the board, i was going to go for xms3500 ram, im a bit concerend about my graphics card not working at the mo, but i see that nvidia has a new mx chipset card out for under £100

I think the vid card should work. The IC7 has regular IDE connectors and Serial ATA connectors, so you can still run the older harddrives. You do need to use two sticks of matching DDR RAM though.

he doesnt have to use two sticks of ddr right away. the board will run fine with 1 stick, just wont be in dual channel mode. another reason it is better than rdram :p. so if you buy one stick now, then anotrher later when you have money, you couold buy a decent Vid card now

Any ideas what power supply should meet the needs of this board? i was thinking of getting 450watt.. or does it need higher??

tug

tugmaster666 said:
Any ideas what power supply should meet the needs of this board? i was thinking of getting 450watt.. or does it need higher??

tug

I'm only using an Enermax 365 PSU with my system below..

The ic7-g can only use 1.5V or 0.8V AGP cards. Probably the same for the ic7. The GF2 is probably 3.3V.

so your sating if my card is 3.3v in wont even work or will it damage the new mobo (ic7-g). as i was hoping it would do b4 i got a faster one...

The Vid card is a 4X, so it should be ok. They have slots keyed in the pins so you will not be able to install it if it's the wrong voltage (unless you force it or modify it which will cause damage).

Batboy , so you are replacing your TH7 II by IC7-G ,the new ABIT star , your P4 2,66 by a 2,6 C and RDRam for dual DDR . You are going to spend a lot of money for little improvement except on Sandra memory bench! Even if I am tempted to do the same (OC is addictive ,really! ), i will wait the new Prescot 0,09m to change my TH7 II and my 2,4B@3,06 that replaced my faithful 1,6a@2,4 just 2 month ago.Will be glad though to get your perf with your new rig ,please post them !
Cordially

P4 2,4BSL6EF@3066@1,72v+ Alpha 8942+Delta FFB0812SHE
ABIT TH7 II Bios 43a + LEADTECK GF 4200 TI VIVO + 2x256 Samsung RDRAM PC800 @170x3
1HDD WD 1200JB 120 GB+1 IBM 180 GXP 120Go 8Mo cache
PIONEER dvd 116 +LITEON CDRW 16x10x40
1 Pinnacle PCTV
Lian Li PC 69 case with 2 80mm intake fans+ 1 80mm exhaust + 1 slot fan +Enermax 365 PSU with 2 exhaust fans ,
cpu fan and case fans controlled by homemade diobus.
cpu temp 48°C idle 56-60°C full load (p95 or Fritz chess ) MB temp 32°C idle 36°C load ,case temp 25°C

I also was after some advise on a decent heatsink and fan nothing to loud though.

ABit IC7-G
2.8ghz

Dankal, yes I'm spending a lot of money for my upgrades, but I'm also selling my "old" system for a lot of money too. I like being on the cutting edge of performance. The new Canterwood system offers several new features that I want, such as dual channel DDR, 8X AGP, serial ATA controller, Firewire, USB 2.0, and Hyperthreading support. I can afford a new system, so why not?

I'm now running my new IC7 (not IC7-G) mobo and PC3500 RAM, but I don't have the 800 bus CPU yet (it's still on backorder). I have tested both my 2.66/533 and 2.0A/400 CPUs in the new IC7. I have a couple threads floating around in the Intel CPU section about my adventures. PM or email me if you want more info or if you want to see a screen shot of Sandra benchmarks. I did get the 2.0A to run at 3.4 gig. ***grin***

tugmaster666

I have an Asus V7700 video card (Geforce 2 GTS)
Asus SmartDoctor 2 reports the voltage at 1.52V so you should be ok
with your Geforce 2 GTS

I'm currently using the V7700 in an Asus P4T533-C which has an AGP Pro Slot 1.5V.

Last edited:
Back