• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*NOTICE* ABIT 875/865 and ABIT Serillel "1" adapter kits are NOT COMPATIBLE !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
*NOTICE* ABIT 875/865 and ABIT Serillel "1" adapter kits are NOT COMPATIBLE !

Hi all ,

Well I found out today (verified) that Abits Serillel "1" adapter kits are NOT compatible with the newer Abit 875/865 chipset boards !!!
You must have a Abit Serillel "2" adapter kit for things to work correcty (without problems) ; specially in a RAID0 config .

This was confirmed today by e-mailing Excaliberpc about there having posting this notice (in red) under the Serillel ATA RAID specs of the newer 875/865 boards :

Serial ATA RAID
- On board 2 channels Serial ATA 150MB/s data transfer rate
- Supports RAID 0
Does NOT compatible with Serillel Kit. Supports only Serillel-2 Kit, which ABIT-USA has not made available yet!

I looked into this at the Abit forums and you can read through my inital post and info from there ABIT FORUMS POST

Thought others here would be very interested in my findings , as to possible avoid (or cure ) any on going problems with the SATA setup and serillel adapters .

The BAD part is the Abit Serillel "2" adapters are NOT yet available
( one only is provided in the IC7-G package so far)

*EDIT*

UPDATED DIRECT LINK
HERE

Hope this info helps a few people out there .

stereo555

Last edited:
I have the IC-7 running raid 0 with two Maxtor Ultra 133/8 meg buffer drives using the old abit serillel convertors. Occasionally when booting the Intel raid bios says drive failed. Then I have to shut off the computer, turn it back on, go into the raid utility where it asks me " are these the correct drives for the array?" after saying yes and rebooting it seems to work fine. This problem happens about every 1 in 10 boots. Haven't come up with any corrupt files yet either. This settup scores 62,000 in sisoft disk benchmark. In harddrive tach it does 47,000 average with a cpu utilization of 1.5%. Cluster size is 32kb. Not bad.

After my nightmare with the 1.1 BIOS on my IC7 I gave up on the Intel Onboard SATA. Sending back the Serillel-1 adapters I got from NewEgg [did not even open the box].

Reformated again, disabled the onboard SATA, installed a HighPoint 1520 SATA RAID card with HotHead SATA Adapters, and it runs NICE. No more BSOD or pagefile errors. A PIV 2.8 is running quite nicely @ 3570 170mhz FSB in RAID0.

I emailed NewEgg about the adapters:

Hello,
My Order # XXXXXXX for [2] Abit IDE to Serial ATA Adapters looks like it has already been shipped. I got the adapters for my Abit IC7 motherboard. I just now found out they ARE NOT COMPATABLE with the IC7 motherboard. What I am reading now is that the IC7 needs a Serillel-2 converter kit and not the the original serillel-1 kit like the one I ordered.

Here is part of what I am reading on a hardware forum...

If you intend to use Serillel Kit on IC7, then please return them immediately for full refund (excluding shipping).
1. You can regard this warning as a semi-official notice
2. It is just chip inside Serillel Kit and motherboard are not compatible with each other by design
3. We are still chasing ABIT-USA for pricing and availability on Serillel-2 Kit.

Also please change the wording on your website concerning the Serillel-1 Adapters here:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=serillel

To read they WILL NOT WORK on Abit !C7 motherboards. This will save a lot of big problems. The issues of using these adapters on Abit IC7 motherboards is on three hardware forum web boards I visit. Folks are having big problems with them.

So I will have to return the ones I ordered from you as soon as I get them. If you do not have the Serillel-2 in stock I guess I will need to get a refund. Do I need a RMA Number? If so please give me one.

NewEggs Reply:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting us. We will be notifying our Product Support department and Purchasing department so they may further look into it. Once you recieve the order please request a RMA number from our website.

Please click on the link below to authorize a return to NewEgg.com. We will email you all pertinent information once the return is approved.

https://secure.newegg.com/app/Login.asp

If you have any questions or concerns please let us know.

Thank You,
Roxanne
Newegg.com

Nice work Terry , thanks for the info ;)

I too found out at the Abit forums a guy is running (on a "G") the same adapters as you (Hothead 100's) on his Silicon RAID and they work fine .

He has yet to report back if the Hothead 100 adapters work on the Intel RAID .

He also reports trying out his complete Highpoint RAID card out , and has reported no problems using it .

Yeah this things kinda turned into a small nightmare ; and my IC7 is still in the box :rolleyes: . No correct adapters to use , so no IC7 in my system yet .

Gotta have my RAID , but I want to make sure its going to work correctly with adapters before I go any further .

stereo555

Last edited:
Terry said:

Think I am gonna sell a bunch of my extra stuff and get a couple Raptors. They are really fast.

I too am thinging the same , and going for a pair of Raptors since the da_m adapters are not available and with no ETA in site .

Pair of Rators $350+tax =*OUCH* :eek:

But with my luck , I'll get the Raptors and the next day the Serillel "2" adapters will become available .:rolleyes:

AAAHHHH .....just another day in my life of OC'ing , lol

stereo555

Last edited:
Back