• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Asus board for Barton 2800+??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The VTech

Captain Bawls
I am purchasing an AMD 2800+ Barton core and as much as I like my Soyo Dragon SY-KT400, I am wondering if another brand or chipset would be better.

Thanks for any help here! :D

Ya I have been looking at that one and like it as a whole but wasn't sure if it was good or not. Is there any real life benifits from the Deluxe vs the Deluxe GOLD?? I have read the specs but does it really matter?

Last edited:
Ive read some reviews and benchmarks between the Kt400 and Nforce 2. The nforce 2 blows the 400 away. As bad as the A7N8x delux death count is if you get a hold of a rev 2.0. Then you should have a good solid system.

If you search the forum for A7n8x you'll find several threads from people describing their experiences with the board and the pros and cons of the various versions.

Thanks Lynn I have done many search both here and via Google etc., but it's been a while that the board has been out and the main stay issues are resolved or dealt with. The question I'm looking for is how does the board perform in the real everyday world at this point?

Most of the replys or posts I have found are all just about the problems with the board. Problems are to be exptected to a certain extent no?

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Last edited:
If you are gonna get the A7N8X-Deluxe, watch out for the BIOS. My board died on my last night for no reason, I did a reboot from the OS and it just quit posting. I had a rev 2 with the latest bios (1.004 I think it is). Oh, and I think the difference between Deluxe and Deluxe Gold is just software, I think gold has everything tha Deluxe has plus WinCinema. Somebody correct me if I am wrong on that.

The a7n8x deluxe is a sweet board. my first was doa, so i just sent it back, they sent me another one. did a bios flash to 1002
everything good since. great board good performance. rock solid.
with the correct bios etc. the board even unlocked my cpu fine

a7n8x dlx (BIOS Rev 1017 Beta 005 T9)
xp 2600b (190x12)
512 corsair xms 3200
cak486 globalwin cooler
gf4 ti4200 128 8xagp
3dmark2001(defualt) 12408

Last edited:
Make sure it's the revision 2.0 or send it back if it's not. Im serious. The new revision 2.0 uses the newer nforce 2 chipset. It doesnt mess up running at 200 mhz (x2) with Barton. Earlier Nforce 2 boards did. The new rev 2.0 officially supports DDR400. It'll make all the difference in the world if your going to run a Barton or else you'll be stuck at around 195 mhz FSB.

I ordered the rev 2.0 myself from www.Excaliberpc.com Their good about this stuff and clearly advertise that the board their selling is a 2.0

Thanks Gtsimmo. Does this board have mounting holes for the SLK-900-U??????????
It's hard to tell on the pics at Newegg.

Yes the holes are there, but you have to bend the capacitors for mounting the SLK900U. Better get an SLK800U, it fits fine on the board.

OK Thanks Steve.
I think there is only a 2-3c diff. between the 800-900 anyway so the 800 will work for me just fine. Just would have been cool to have the 900. I hate force fitting, it's not worth it usually.

I've had my rev.1.04 since last Christmas. No problems other than with initial ram that was not approved. I still have the same board and it is great. Best board I've ever had. The A7N8X Deluxe rev.2 should be good for you. I started with and still have the SLK 800 with 80mm fan. Fits fine, no problems.

Excellent. I'm going to get the SLK-800-U to replace the 800a I have along with the Aero7 fan off that heatsink setup when it comes out. I really appreciate the responses about the everyday useage and not just the issues etc etc etc. For those isssues does not a bad motherboard make. :D

Back