• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's dead - processor or mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baalthazaar

Registered
I just recently transfered my system to a new case that would offer better airflow, however it refuses to post now. I get no fans, no beeps, no nothing EXCEPT an led light on the mobo. So who's the culprit? Should I buy a new processor or a new mother board to fix this problem? I really don't have access to any computers to swap one or the other out and test....

Oh, I'm using an Alpha Pal 8045 heatsink and a shim. When I first started reinstalling the heatsink I forgot to put the shim back on at first (after cleaning), so there is a possibility that the core may have been chipped, though I don't think I applied that much pressure.

Anyway, you're the doctors - what do these symptoms mean?

First of all, need more info...What motherboard, CPU, Ram and PSU are you using...all of these parts can have something or nothing to do with the problem...

I'm sorry.

I'm running on a Shuttle AK35GT2R - that's a kt333 chipset.
Processor is a 2100+ thoroughbred
PSU is a 350 watt generic.

I don't think the psu is dead because it still lights up the LED on the motherboard, but I don't really have any experience with failed power supplies so I can't say for sure.

It just baffles me that the fans don't spin but the LED turns on, yet no beeps either. I'm really not sure who to blame here.

Are you sure you have your CPU fan connected on the CPU fan header on the motherboard...also re-check all of your jumpers...

If worse comes to worse...re-take the motherboard out and make sure you don't have a extra motherboard stand that is shorting out the motherboard

Jumpers are all in the same places I left them originally, verified from the manual to be in the default positions. I tried to clear the Cmos but to no effect.

I'm using a Thermaltake Smartfan 2 for cooling and have the rpm cable hooked into the cpu fan plug on the motherboard.

*thanks for the help, btw

Is this the same PSU that was in your other case...or is this the PSU that came with the case?

*and np...that is why we are all here...

it's the same old PSU, I just swapped it out. I blow around in it a bit to get some dust out of the fans, but other than that it's the same as ever.

I think I might be able to test my processor in a friend's computer tomorrow....that should help narrow down the problem. Hell I can probably test the psu, too.

did you re-check your case connectors on the MB...I have had a few where the + and - were right next to each other instead of spaced one space apart...this is a long shot...and I mean a long shot...also make sure none are backwards..."+ on -"

Pertaining to what glock19owner is asking, is the LED that turns on the LED that is on even when the computer is off? because if that's the case, you could just have the switch wired wrong.

Sorry, I've just been tinkering.

The LED is not one of the displays on the computer - actually I haven't even bothered plugging that in yet. It's a green indicator light on the mobo. Sorry if I was confusing you. I have the power switch connected properly, I'm absolutely positive of that.

I've just tested the PSU on another machine - it works fine there. So PSU is not the culprit. I'll have to wait until later today to try the processor. Once that's done I guess I'll have my culprit.

Upon further inspection - I took everything apart and thoroughly cleaned the cpu - it appears that the die may have bin chipped :( When I removed the processor the fans and everything came to life. What a bummer. I guess I've got to purchase a new chip now - I'll probably 'downgrade' to a 1700+ because my AK35GT2R didn't let me play with multipliers above 13x anyway (and it only selected that setting because it was the chip's default).

I really didn't think I applied that much pressure to the chip - it looks like this is just another one of those cruel reminders that processors have to be handled with care.

Thanks for trying to help me guys.

If possible...test that CPU in another system just to make sure...I have seen weirder things happen before...

but it already refused to post using the chip...a simple reseating wouldn't fix that, would it? Owell, I'm desperate and my new chip won't be here until Saturday or Monday so maybe I'll give it another go. If it works then I'll come back and thank you profusely :) But I don't have much hope.

I reseated the processor and IT WORKS! Thanks so much, I had really given up and I wouldn't have even bothered trying if you hadn't brought it up.

I haven't tried OCing it yet and I haven't run it through any stress tests, so I don't know if it's 100% stable still....but thanks anyway! My day has been undeniably brightened :)

this same thing has happened to me several times... if my computer refuses to post i usually try to reseat the processor 2-3 times... and that is usually the problem... though one time the reset switch was stuck in so my computer wouldnt post...

Back