• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT4 + R9500pro = hours of gainess

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeXaDeCiMaL

Finally got myself a shiny new R9500pro yesterday, plugged it into the board straight into windows no problem, I install the ATi drivers and go to run 3Dmark2K3 just to see what I get, i'd reinstall after...

starts to load, then dropps back to desktop... i'm like ok must be cos i've gone straight from a Ti4200 -> ATi, i'll give it a fresh install, so I do, get to the point to load 3Dmark again...

does EXACTLY the same thing... so now i'm like WTF, then I remember some KT400 boards don't like 8x AGP with the ATi's so i lower the AGP to 4x reboot and now I can run 3Dmark 2K3, so i'm happy, then I go to run 3Dmark2k1... dropps back to desktop...

Then I think mabey it doesn't like the FSB overclock (180FSB at that time, which my Ti4200 was fine on), so I lower it to 166, low and behold it works fine, so I go back and turn 8x AGP on, that works fine now too... only thing is now i'm at a limit of 166 x 12.5 = 2.083... ~150Mhz slower than my CPU is usually clocked and I can't take the multi any higher, so I decide i'll un-unlock the CPU and run 166 x 13...

After figting with the SLK800 clip for a good 10mins (I hate that bloody clip) I finally get the damn thing off, and rub off all the silver fluid connecting the bridge. Put it back in, manage to attach the spawn of satan HSF boot up and it's still unlocked :|

once again I had to take the bloody thing out and lo and behold there is NOTHING connecting the bridges... so just to make sure I rub like mad with my thumb, plop it back in, and then... then I stab the mobo with a knife while trying to put the damn clip back on :mad: slicing one of the tracers on the edge.. thereby killing the board...

After swearing for a good 5mins, I had a plan, as I had only cut one tracer I decided to try and repair it using the unlocking fluid i had used on my CPU, I put a blob of it on the tracer and waited for 5mins while praying, turned the rig on and it's ALIVE :eek:

Admittadly now the mobo has some rather strange quirks, I can no longer use Ultra setting for the mem, and instead I have to use Fast, my power levels are better than they have ever been, and the system feels rather sluggish... yet everything is still working...

This is one of those days you wish you had stayed in bed.... looks like its new mobo time anyway as I don't know how long my makshift repair will last, or if it's damaging anything :(

eeep, 'unt of a situation!

via chipset huh...

running a higher than standard fsb would put your agp speed up a little, and ati's arnt too tolerant of higher agp speed from what i seen, tho gf4's seem to take it well

mine craps out at anything faster than about 71MHz (manually set it with bios for alittle extra oomph), 3dmark locks up or what ever

it may be a cold comfort, but what better time to get a nforce2 board :)

Where are you changing the agp to 8X I have a 9500 pro and all I have is 4X what drivers are you using are you changing it in the bios ???

it's automatic m8, the board will change to 8x agp upon detection of a compatible card, the agp rate will then be locked out and you wont be able to change it in BIOS at all, the way I reduced it to 4x was using ATi's SMART-GART in the Display-Drivers panel.

BTW - on a 8RDA+ now and not a single problem at all :)

Back