• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Motherboard for around $60

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
My dad needs a new motherboard for his computer, not looking to do too much overclocking, just a bit. FSB to at least 166mhz is all I need for overclocking. Anyways, I want kt333 or better for around $60 a little or a little more is fine. Any suggestions, also, please post a link to where you found it and the price it is at that store.

You probably already thought about it but check the newegg refurbs occasionally. I picked up the MSI mobo in my sig for $40 and I love it. It was oem, but the other refurbs I've bought there have all been retail boxed. In fact, I just took a quick peek and they have a GA-7VAC for 50.25 shipped free. Don't know anything about the board other than its kt333 and capable of 166 according to the site. Never used a Gigabyte board.

Ooops sorry.....linky

If you HAVE to get a new mobo, ECS is likely the brand for you. Not known as the performance kings of the world, but they are pretty feature rich, and support 166 XP's.
At the 60 dollar range, you're looking at a KT400, as the NF2's are still another 20 dollars more.
I did see Newegg has a Biostar for $59 shipped, and it has good reviews too.. Might consider that one.

linky

Was considering those two actually, just wanted to see what other people thought of them. More suggestions please, thanks.

I find it a little strange that the "pro" version is cheaper than the non-pro. From just a quick glance, I see the Pro comes with onboard LAN, while the Non-pro doesn't.. I read some of the reviews and they look good, most of the negative are probably from those who don't know what they're doing, or they just got a bad mobo (happens to us all)..

Are you Army? What MOS? I got out a few years back..

Nope, not army. I am in high school. Just a huge supporter of the army and thats just to honor them. What rank are you?

I will check out some reviews...

I WAS Army, but not now.. Now I do Systems Engineering type work in Northern Va. When I got out of the Army I was a Sergeant E-5...MOS was 98J (military intelligence stuff).

I only spent four years in, but had a great time.

-I'm home sick with a cold, or my butt would be at work. Just means more time to mess with the puter and watch Springer! LOL!

Where did you see the reviews of the biostar mobo? Having trouble finding them...

I think I am going to go with that board. Seems like a good one. I see you have the Soltek board, I have it to. Its pretty nice isn't it? I reviewed it and now I can keep it. Good solid board and good features.

Sure is. I just got it a couple of days ago, so I'm still in the tweaking process, but I'm impressed so far. I coulda spent more, on an Abit or Asus, but why, I'll probably end up only having this board until the next latest and greatest anyway.. Overall, I'm impressed though. Demand has started pushing the prices back up at newegg..

Stay away from ECS....Go with the Biostar.

My brother-in-law has build about a half dozen machines for work, using Biostar, he loves them. Not sure if it is a OC dream, but good solid MB for cheap.

I had a Biostar way back when (486SX). Never gave me any trouble.

I have built two systems with ECS. The first one was OK, the other one a K7S5A....It out right sucked.

I could not get 133FSB to work period. So I have to undercloack my CPU.

Just my 2 cents.

Right in your back yard.

Form pricewatch.com

I have ordered from them and have been pleased.

Epox 8k3a

ONLINE ORDER ONLY -
8K3A VIA KT333 CHIPSET, 184pin DDR DIMM 3,5PCI,1AGP, ATX. AMD AthlonTM and AMD DuronTM processor up to 1.3GHz, AMD SOCKET A 200/266MHz FSB

Price: $ 65
MinOrder: 1

Ship 1 : Free 3 Days FedEx Insured
Updated:4/23, 3:37 PM

$65.00 Z-BUY.COM

888-577-9289
201-770-9980 -- P.O.'s accepted

NJ

Thats the 1 I have in my sig.

It all depends on what you are looking to do with the mobo.

I am going to stick with the Biostar, looks good to me. I used a Biostar motherboard once and it worked fine, no problems. Yeah, I would def. stay away from ECS, I have built a few systems with ECS boards and a few tunred out ok, but some just sucked. And one the mobo died and no it was not my fault. The 8K3A is a good board, but I already have one, want to try something new and exciting, lol. Thanks for your input everyone.

mattspalace said:
I find it a little strange that the "pro" version is cheaper than the non-pro. From just a quick glance, I see the Pro comes with onboard LAN, while the Non-pro doesn't.. I read some of the reviews and they look good, most of the negative are probably from those who don't know what they're doing, or they just got a bad mobo (happens to us all)..

Are you Army? What MOS? I got out a few years back..

I had a ecs i forgot the number and it ran fine for a couple years then just died, I tried the pro model of it and it sucked *** hardcore................................... I had to return 3 of them back to frys, very picky on the memory, would not even take mushkin or kingston.....

TimWest said:
Stay away from ECS....Go with the Biostar.

I have built two systems with ECS. The first one was OK, the other one a K7S5A....It out right sucked.

I could not get 133FSB to work period. So I have to undercloack my CPU.

Just my 2 cents.

yea that the one I had,, k7s5a pro........

The K7SEM I had died. It sucked, I did not even do anything that would have messed it up. Just stopped booting. Ordered the Biostar M7VIT Pro. Its a good deal and hopefully a good mobo. We shall see very soon.

The have an MSI K7N2-L on newegg refurb rioght now for $59 . Grab it while you can. Besides if someone doesn't grab it soon I will not be able to contain myself any longer and I will get it myself.

I already ordered a mobo. But thanks anways.

Back