• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7S5A Pro problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flying Fox

I really want to try the AMD platform, so I got some parts (with some existing ones) and put together the following:

T-Bred A 2000+
K7S5A Pro
512MB PC2700 RAM
MSI GeForce4 Ti4200
Adaptec 29160 SCSI controller
2x Quantum Atlas V 18GB HDs
3com 3C590 PCI combo card (yeah, I am still using coax :))
Yamaha 8824S writer
Old 4x SCSI CD-ROM

Note: I haven't even tried OCing yet, just turning the RAM timings down a bit... The other notable things that I did to the BIOS settings are disabling the IDE controllers, the IRQ to PCI VGA setting, and turn on APIC.

I installed Win98 and then Win2K. Win98 boots fine with no problems. For Win2K I ran into an interesting "issue", after I choose to boot Win2K in the menu, the system "pauses" for 65 seconds before moving on to the text mode "Starting Windows..." screen. At first I thought it was a hang and I hit reset until at one time I left it there and it booted fine after that pause. During that stage I don't think it is even trying to load any drivers. What could be happening?

Also, another interesting thing with coming out of hibernation. Because of this boot up problem I tried to use hibernate to boot quicker. However, if I hibernate and leave the machine off long enough (a few hours), the first time when it tries to resume it rebooted itself before getting to the "Resuming Windows..." screen. Then I am asked whether to discard the memory file and restart or continue. When I choose continue it resumes fine. Again, I wonder why?

Have tried 2 ECS official BIOSes and 1 Cheepo and 1 Honey X and they all exhibit the same things. While there has been no stability problems (no blue screens and hangups with Prime95 and 3DMark2001), these kinds of "issues" are quite annoying.

I really want to get an AMD platform running successfully, would anyone please shed some wisdom here so that I can convince others that AMD platform is as good as you know who?

Thanks in advance.

WuChild said:
That's interesting,

Try from a cold boot, unplug the power cord then start 2k, see if it still pauses.
Yeah I agree, this is very interesting indeed. :) I've never seen anything like it.

Tried all that, warm boot, cold boot, plug, unplug, swapping cards, etc. (since I am still working on cabling and stuff), nothing. But if I choose Win98, everything is good. Even after the stupid wait, Win2k just runs smooth.

BTW, what about the hibernate problem?

Back