• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best of the best ahhh Im so confused

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bin610

Registered
I am looking for the very best and easiest motherboard to OC for a P4 2.4 chip. I do not care if you think a certain board is better just based on which manufacturer made it. That is all I want to know. Also, price is sort of a factor, which is a problem of some sort. I know that the IC7-G is better than the IT7 Max2 v2 board but the price is so different that I would pick the IT7 easily. Ahhhh what to do... so confused. I guess what I would say is that the budget for the board would be about 160-200 US dollars. I know I ramble alot but its so I can filter out certain replies being so specific and all. Thanks for the replies in advance.

If you don't need on-board LAN, then the Abit IC7 is less than $160 (IC7-G Max2 is about $60 more) or you can get a mobo with the Springdale chipset which is a little bit cheaper than the Canterwood, like the Abit IS7 (or IS7-G with LAN).

Welcome to the forums.

I'm going to throw a couple of answers at you. If your system is dead and you absolutely need to get it up by Monday, get an Albatron PX845PEV Pro or an Abit BE-7. Both are 845PE boards, cost under $100 and overclock like a mother.

I can't recommend dropping $170 on an IT7-Max2 today because the 865PE's are so close, and in that price range you are going to have some great boards to choose from. Even if the performance isn't notably better than the 845PE's, there are features on the 865's like D-DDR and intergrated S-ATA and support for 800MHz chips that you'll probably want over the next year or two.

BHD

I will ditto what thebaldheadeddork said. Get the Albatron 845PEV Pro or the Abit BH7. I have the Albatron and it's pretty damn good, but it has some issues. And their production boards on sale now are made in China, rather than the early ones made in Taiwan, which I have.
If it were me right now, I would get the Abit BH7 hands down, no hesitation, without a doubt. Abit built it solid with quality components to support over 400Mhz bus.

You could even get an original IT7 for 90.00 (if your counting pennys) from Abit..... While getting 'dated' (lol), it's no slouch for 90 bucks ;)
I suppose it's really up to your dreams and how far you wanna take the board or that class of chip...... How often you upgrade/wanna keep it..... ;)

thanks for all these great reponses. I have decided that money is no longer an issue in terms of the processor and motherboard. That is why I am pretty sure that I am gonna get the new P4 2.4 800 fsb cpu with the IC7-G mobo. Also, I am gonna get two sticks of corsair 256 pc3500 ram, an 18 gig fujitsu 15k rpm scsi drive, AIW Radeon 9700 PRO, 160 gig WD 7200 rpm, and a plextor 48x24x48 burner. If I have enough money I think I will get either the Zalman 7000 cu or Vantec Aeroflow heatsink. Sounds fun :D

yeah thanks I have read that review before but I think that the whole memory latency problem will be fixed with new bios upgrades.

I have the IC7 and after I flashed the new BIOS update, the RAM timing bug vaporized. Bin610, your system is shaping up niicely, but I would not get a SCSI drive unless you already have the controller and cables. These new Canterwoods have Serial ATA controllers and RAID built in, so take at gander at the Western Digital 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA or maybe even two of them in RAID. SCSI is too expensive.

batboy said:
I have the IC7 and after I flashed the new BIOS update, the RAM timing bug vaporized. Bin610, your system is shaping up niicely, but I would not get a SCSI drive unless you already have the controller and cables. These new Canterwoods have Serial ATA controllers and RAID built in, so take at gander at the Western Digital 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA or maybe even two of them in RAID. SCSI is too expensive.

Thanks for the advice. My friend is hooking me up with the scsi drive with the card and the cables for around 300 dollars. Do the hard drives come with the SATA cables and such? If so I might see what the difference is in the two.

He's probably just expressing his thoughts, "hmmmm, sounds good to me, maybe I'll build one of those too".

I have no idea about your SATA question.

Did you buy and build it yet?

Back