• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Itanium Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok i'm seeing 800mhz 2mb cache Itaniums for sale on ebay for $75.00 But can't find any motherboards. Any idea why you can find the chips but can't find the boards? and how much power would a dual Itanium crunch compared to a dual Athlon MP system a month?

I don't really have the answer you need, but it would seem to me that that big a cache would really help something as repetitive as SETI or F@H... of course, I'm assuming that that's what you were referring to when saying 'how much power can it crunch in a month' :)

hehe thanks but I already figured that. I just thought I heard somewhere that the power required to run an Itanium is much much higher than a general CPU.

itanium is all 64bit right ? i mean no 32bit stuff should work on it, not like the opteron wich can run 32bit programs and such.

yea, youre probably going to have some serious compatability issues. i know i dont have much native 64-bit softwar layin around

well that was the thing. I didn't know if it just had to have a 64bit OS on it. What do they use those for really?

the itanium is used for really big and floating point intensive work. Its a really nice server chip too, can go up to 16way without any problems, even 32way i think. I does the things that high-end propiatary servers do, that is, whatever your custom designed software wants it to do. But its for servers pretty much exclusively. there are workstations that use it in 2 or 4way configs, but those are for the REALLY big rendering or CAD jobs that take months to render on the fastest of Xeons.
________
Nexium settlement news

Last edited:
months to render? what kind of job is that and how much better do the itaniums crunch over the xeons in a job like that?

like the graphics that movies use, and they are waayyy faster with the right program, the real problem is that no x86 stuff runs worth a crap on them, so you have to have IA-64 programs, and those aren't common, so most of the time they have to be custom made. One example: i know a big engineering firm that invested in a 8way itanium for their big workloads. I have seen some SPEC benchmarks that compare the Itanium to a bunch of compeitors and the Xeon, I'll try to find it and post it here
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited:
I'm also looking around for motherboards, I did see one end for $50 on ebay, but thats the only one. I have had an Itanium 733 for show for over a year now, but never got a motherboard. If I ever see one on ebay like that, I might just get it, but I don't know how much psu, and stuff would cost. I won't be willing to spend over $100 to get this running though, as it would just be a toy basically. lol, it's funny how a once $5000 CPU is just something I want to play around with though. These CPUs on ebay are fishy, i mean they go for <$50, and when they still pricewatched for $4000 they were still going for $100ish.

u can't use one..there isn't really a good 64bit OS either..there are, but none that u would ant to use, and NO programs you want will work either.

just don't waste your money :)

I was looking into it for the purpose of being a file server and a game server. Figured if it was 64bit and 700mhz it would be able to host a mean game of Battlefield 1942 :)

Back