• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

put system together w/ old hardware but boot trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathONator

Ok, someone had a bunch of old hardware lying around and wanted me to put together a cheap computer. There are no guarantees that the every thing is in working order, but the memory and CPU I just bought online, so they SHOULD be ok.

The mobo is an ASUS P5A-B, BIOS REV 1007. The CPU is an AMD K6-2 400mhz. 256MB Ram.

When I boot up, it shows the MOBO model, BIOS version and everything. Shows the CPU as being K6-2 400mhz. Does the Memory test, and says it's ok. Shows Press DEL to enter setup. But once the memory test is complete, it's like it locks up. The Num Lock light won't go on or off, DEL dosn't do a thing.

What do you think is wrong? What should I try? I downloaded a newer BIOS (1010) and the flashing utility, put em on a floppy, put floppy in, booted up, but still does the same thing.

Thanks for any help...

I don't think so. Right when I turn the system on, I can hit the Num Lock key, and the light will go on and off. While it is doing the memory test, in the bottom left it shows something like "press DEL to enter setup, Or press ESC to skip memory test". I can hit DEL or ESC and the memory test will stop, also "Or press ESC to skip memory test" will go away. But once the memory test is done (or I hit DEL or ESC), it locks up. And I can do nothing.

How so? I should maybe say that after it locks the cursor under the memory amount still blinks.

I have never used a mobo this old. What is spose to happen on the boot w/ out a boot disk in? It does the same thing w/ any boot disk.

How can I test the PS for what you think the problem might be? Fan goes on. I can open CD-rom drive. Floppy light is on. It just stops booting.

You got a HSF on that puppy?

I don't mean to insult you, but I was messing around with a Pentium 200 the other day without a HSF on it and it would freeze at boot like that.

Yup, sure do, even used arctic silver... lol. Is there anything you have to watch out for in putting a heatsink on a K6? The oldest one I have done prior to this system is my 1.4 T-bird.

Back