• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One hard disk on the NF7-S' SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Blazer

I finally got my NF7-S 2.0 and will soon put my new system together (as soon as my water cooling kit is ready). But, before I put everything together I have a question:

If I only use one hard disk with the SATA, should I expect any data corruption ?

After all, the current fixes don't seem to fix the raid mode, but I only want to use one port in, of course, normal (non-raid) mode.

Last edited:
I would like to know the answer to this as well. If I have two hard drives on the the SATA ports in NON RAID mode, will the data corrupt? Does the data corruption only occur in RAID mode? I'd like to have two WD Raptor drives on them.

I THINK the new driver will prevent corruption with two HDs in non-raid mode, but I'm really not sure.

I know that deathstar13 seems to have some corruption problem with the new driver in raid mode: Got corruption problem with SATA on the NF7-S ? Read this !

I would like to use at least 1 SATA port so both my HDs would have a dedicated IDE channel.

I hope to get an answer before putting the computer together...

Well, once I invested "MORE" money in two differnt ribbon cables and converters (from Highpoint), my board FINALLY found my HD... but other than that, I have had NO problems with corruption what so ever!! :D

And I'm still running a single WD80JB for the time being, but it is WICKED FAST! and I couldn't be more happy! ;)

DpGravy

I have the 80 gig 8 meg cache and I have the machine running with the SATA cable and it runs very well. You NEED to get the new driver first before you install windows. It stopped my corruption totally.

The Blazer said:
I finally got my NF7-S 2.0 and will soon put my new system together (as soon as my water cooling kit is ready). But, before I put everything together I have a question:

If I only use one hard disk with the SATA, should I expect any data corruption ?

After all, the current fixes don't seem to fix the raid mode, but I only want to use one port in, of course, normal (non-raid) mode.

No problems with my single Western Digital on one SATA channel.

Hammer

CSaddict said:
I have the 80 gig 8 meg cache and I have the machine running with the SATA cable and it runs very well. You NEED to get the new driver first before you install windows. It stopped my corruption totally.

Yes indeed CSaddict I agree completely, the new drivers do make a world of difference, this is a "MUST" if you’re planning on running any type of RAID setup ;)

DpGravy

It not perfected yet. They are working on it now and have a band-aid fix out now but the performance suffers greatly.

Can you just use the Sata with one hard drive & not boot off of that drive?

Also does the drive have to be a ATA100 drive? The raid configurator does see my 8.4 ata33. But when in windows I can't see my drive.

I'm usuing a 10 gig ATA66 drive for my boot drive. The main reason I want to put the 8.4 on serial is so it doesn't slow the boot drive down to ATA33.

I will probally be getting a serial drive in the very near future "couple of months".

Aviator747 said:
Can you just use the Sata with one hard drive & not boot off of that drive?

Also does the drive have to be a ATA100 drive? The raid configurator does see my 8.4 ata33. But when in windows I can't see my drive.

I'm usuing a 10 gig ATA66 drive for my boot drive. The main reason I want to put the 8.4 on serial is so it doesn't slow the boot drive down to ATA33.

I will probally be getting a serial drive in the very near future "couple of months".

The drive on SATA has to be ATA100 or greater. You don't have to boot off of it.

Hammer

benutne said:
Yes, new drivers make one drive on the SATA work fine, but how about TWO drives in non-RAID mode?
AFAIK there is no known issue with corruption from running two drives in a non array setup, I assume you might want a dual boot with two different OS's on separate drives or something like that so you can select your boot drive from the SATA bios?

Back