• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4sdx....?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlyBy

Plz comment on system I have in mind...

Hi,

I recently dicovered this forum and I really like it... have read a lot of good ideas and also saw a lot of well thought expert opinions on different matters here....

Okay let's put it this way...

thinking of.... :

P4/2.66
ASUS P4SDX
2*512 MB PC2700
Hercules Radeon 9700PRO
etc....

Will I be able to game nicely with this rig???? Or should I switch to something smarter?? ( Like taking a newer mobo with intel chipset and PC3200 RAM....??)

Thx in advance for your expert opinions....

A.P.

:burn:

Last edited:
There will certainly be no problems gaming with that setup in terms of sheer speed, and the PC2700 DDR will be fine on that motherboard and with that processor providing you don't plan on overclocking it much as the ram will be the limiting factor (as i've been finding out). The only problem is the SiS 655 chipset. In the past, SiS had a notorious reputation for having dire stability, just look at some reviews of the 648 chipset. Most reviews suggest that this problem has been solved with the 655, although there are a couple that had the same trouble. The best place to check would be in the Gigabyte motherboards forum, as their 655 chipset board (SINXP-1394) is almost universally considered the best and there are a number of people using that board who post there. Get some opinions from them. It's certainly a good deal cheaper than i875P chipset boards.

thx

Hi,

Thx for your reply, however.... the board is on it's way... I will be building the system this Saturday I guess.
Will let you know how it performs.
Thx again

A.P. :burn:

If you run the system at stock, you will still be able to play anything on the market right now at high settings.

I ran my 2.66 at stock and still upped my 9700 pro to max in UT2003 and had no lag whats so ever. I have a gig of memory though, but not sure that would make that huge of a difference.

I think you will be able to get a mild overclock out of that board. Maybe you can get to 3gigs. Does not hurt to try though. :D

ThX

Thx Twoosh,

I will definitely try and overclock this machine, will post the results ofcourse, only waiting for the last components to arrive.... hope to pick 'm all up tomorrow....

One more question, I did not yet order a soundcard, is it advisable in your opinion to get a soundcard instead of using the onboard sound..? Read somewhere onboard sound on this board might cause performance loss... something to avoid at all costs ofcourse :D....

And which soundcard should I get? Does not need to be cheap..

Thx again,

A.P. :burn:

Back