• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

soundstorm center channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

When i play games w/ EAX like Operation Flashpoint, I noticed there is no sound coming out of the center speaker..I tried all the settings within the game like EAX on and off, hardware accel on/off, etc..but no luck. When I use the Soundstorm Control Panel and do the 'test tone' all the channels sound good except the center one..it sounds low and muffled. I've messed around with all the settings on this too but no luck...

Any ideas?

Thanks

I have the same problem, mine reverts to two speaker output whenever I enter games, can't seem to get it fixed, have you checked? maybe yours is doing this also

I have Creative 5.1 speakers and I get sound out of the 2 fronts, 2 backs and sub during games...but no sound out of the center speaker...But when i do the test in the nforce control panel i can hear some sound out of the center speaker...

The center speaker output on the back from what i remember is shared with the LFE for the sub. Correct me if im wrong but all you'll probably be hearing from the center speaker are the lower frequencies for the SUB. That might explain why 'some' sound is coming out instead of the full frequency range.

As to fixing the prob, i wouldnt know lol :D havent tried it yet.
Maybe there might be some switch from LFE to center so it outputs the full frequency range instead of the lower ones for the sub?.
I was always wondering why they would share the LFE output with the Center ???

Is the center channel suppost to have sound coming out of it if the game isnt in Dolby Digital? Or maybe the center channel is for EAX sound when its moving from left to right, etc...I'm not sure..i'm not an audio expert. I would just like to know my speakers and Soundstorm are working correctly..

The center channel is supposed to work for any system using 5.1 speakers. That includes EAX i think and Dolby Digital. If the game is using neither of these then u'll just hear the normal stereo channels (left and right).
Trying mucking around withe the nForce Control panel. You might be able to fix your prob there.

unwrittenLaw said:
I have Creative 5.1 speakers and I get sound out of the 2 fronts, 2 backs and sub during games...but no sound out of the center speaker...But when i do the test in the nforce control panel i can hear some sound out of the center speaker...
i got the same speakers, but i have a creative 5.1 live sound card. i have the exact same problem. wheni test all work but when i am listening to music or playing games the center channel doesn't work. what i have come up with is that the center is digital sound, anything the supports the center digital sound will play through it, and yes it has work for me on several occasions but really not much, and definalty not all the time.

So the center speaker is only there for certain games, movies..that will utilize it, like DD 5.1, etc? That could be the case, but I thought it would have sound even in regular stereo or EAX games. When I play UT2003 in EAX, (which works unlike Operation Flashpoint), I can hear the positional audio on left/right and front/rear, but nothing from the center speaker..

Did you try clicking the Create center channel button in the nforce control panel. I dont know if this will cure your problem but it might help.

Also it could just be the game. Many of them run with only 4.1 and thats why many people sugggest and get the cheaper 4.1 speaker solutions then a full blown 5.1 system.

In My OFP, the center channel works fine hardware enabled but sounds awful with EAX running (im using the digital out into a 5.1 Videologic kit.

But i have found some games especially older ones default back to 2 speakers or 4? still dont know why. And after reading somewhere that ASUS dont meet soundstorm quality for sound output controls i feel like crying LOL.

I dont think that your system being soundstorm compatible or not would matter too much. If your source was not 5.1 would you still hear it through all 5 speakers or would it revert to 4.1.
what kind of games are you playing. I know Operation Flashpoint was mentioned what else does this.

Alot of my online flightsims like Warbirds, And i even had a problem with Jedi Knight 2 until i turned on EAX now i seem to get surround sound output.

But games like close combat 4 etc work with surround sound and also Imperium Galatica 2 ???? you would think games like this would be in stereo. Ive found since i last posted that by fiddling with my soundstorm im able to modify the way the games behave? by replicating a centre channel etc!

unwrittenLaw said:
When i play games w/ EAX like Operation Flashpoint, I noticed there is no sound coming out of the center speaker..I tried all the settings within the game like EAX on and off, hardware accel on/off, etc..but no luck. When I use the Soundstorm Control Panel and do the 'test tone' all the channels sound good except the center one..it sounds low and muffled. I've messed around with all the settings on this too but no luck...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Go to the Asus website here:http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=A7N8X Deluxe

Download the NVSWAP.ZIP file and try it. Its an nvidia utility for the soundstorn that switches the center and bass channel assignments. One of the symptoms of the problem is the one you are having with your center channel....low and muffled sound.

Al

blackhabit said:

i got the same speakers, but i have a creative 5.1 live sound card. i have the exact same problem. wheni test all work but when i am listening to music or playing games the center channel doesn't work. what i have come up with is that the center is digital sound, anything the supports the center digital sound will play through it, and yes it has work for me on several occasions but really not much, and definalty not all the time.

There is a fix for the Sblive 5.1 problem you are having. See this thread:http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146969&highlight=creative+and+playcenter

I couldn't find the NVSWAP.ZIP file at the ASUS site...

Besides problems with OFP.....UT2003 doesn't seem to have any sound coming out of the center channel either with hardware and eax turned on...Everything else in the game sounds good, and I have surround, but nothing out of the center channel...

woodenman80 said:
I couldnt find the file either at that link. Maybe the monkeys at asus moved it LOL.

No, I forgot to mention its listed when you click the Beta button (for some unknown asus reason)

Sorry.

Al

Back