• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8INXP heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silverball

I have problem with 8INXP.My CPU 2.4GHz with glacialtech igloo 4200 reaches temps from 47-65*C, and I dont know what to do. I checked HW installation, tried with few coolers and still when I touch it CPU cooler is really hot. If anyone has this board: could you just tell me your temperature

well from what ive heard it reads faulty temps in the range of 10c, so if your 100% sure that your hs and stuff is well placed, then your board is showing wrong temps as well, pretty much seems random what temp it gives, i can run prime95 for an hour and get 60c, shut down the machine, boot it up again and run prime95 for an hour again and it reads 57c, with the same ambient temp, so i'd say take away some 6c degress from what temp it reads, and your closer to the actual, wouldnt remove 10c or more since it really could have the same effect.

But anyhow, yes it reads wrong temps :)

Welcome to the club :D I too have an 8INXP and my temps are also that high. I´ve written many, many emails with the german gigabyte support, but they don´t even try to find out what the problem is (they should just insert a P IV 3.06 and see the temps rise!). They always send answers like "please RMA your mainboard"! I´ve read many posts like this one and beleive, that if I RMA my mainboard I will have the same problems!

On Usenet there was one who placed two different external temp probes directly under the CPU and both probes did show a temp 10°C lower that shown by the Bios. Also this mainboard has a to high default vcore (my P IV 3.06 shows at 1.650V at default settings - MBM reports 1,58V).

Lets just all hope, that Gigabyte will fix this with a new Bios Version ASAP!

Regards,
derHansen

hmm... wheres the bast place to put a temp probe to measure the cpu temp ... ? i think ill try it out when i next reseat my block ?

derhansen said:
I would say the best place to put an external temp probe is directly under the CPU.

I found an illustration here:

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cooling/Tt_Hardcano2_2.html

Regards,
derHansen

The AMD processor shown has more room to put the probe underneath than the P4. I have the TT Hardcano setup in my case and the probe was too long to fit under the CPU. (without folding it in half) I settled for wedging the probe wire under the pivot arm on the socket and having the probe pressed up against the side of the die. A smear of thermal paste might be an idea but i didn't use it.

My 8INXP temps were out by around the 10 degrees mentioned above. I like having the digital readout to check, I'm running at around 30 degrees idle and up to 47 under gaming load.

Guys, I got new board to test it (8INXP), and everything is the same, but I put "Termaltake volcano 7+" and I put it on low RPM.
Result: idle=46 Before:idle=47
full load=58 full load=65
DERHANSEN, I wrote gigabyte several times and result is same as yours so I quit!

I am happy now, and I thank you guys for your time!

@silverball
Sad but true - Gigabyte support for the 8INXP really sucks! I wrote them again today (this time to the english support). If they don´t fix the problem, I´ll just write to them every single day :D:D:D

derHansen

That is good idea, but problem is that they wont give you one good solution. By the way: do you have any IRQ conflicts and what is your 3dmark2001 score?

I don´t have any IRQ-conflicts. My 3dmark2001 Score is 14081 with no overclocking at all.

Hardware:
P IV 3.06
1 GB RAM Siemens CL2
Sapphire Atlantis 9700
and of course the 8INXP

I did´nt even try to overclock the CPU/GPU because of the high CPU temps.

derHansen

Back