• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

north bridge cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hmmm....no help here.

Not really sure. In retrospect I wish i'd had the foresight to do some repeatable benchys at maybe a higher FSB before I put a Crystal Orb/AS3 on the NB (passive HS on SB). I will say however that more cooling can only be good, just don't know how good. BTW Crystal Orb fits nicely on A7N8X NB. I've got it plugged into CHA_Fan1 and coiled/ty-rapped the wire below the fan so it doesn't look all crappy.
elec.tron

probably thermal epoxy or just normal AS3 (it will stay)

as for benefits of better coling- you might see higher possible FSB ifyou memory or your CPU wherent limiting factors before:D

how did you manage to attach the stock on the south bridge? superglue? =x

Actually I used a thermal adhesive pad, I do have some AS thermal adhesive but didn't want to glue it down permanently until i'm sure this mobo's gonna stay in this machine, last one I had RMA'd due to the bios going south on me.:(
elec.tron

I super glued my SB HS, and AS3 plus the pins on my NB, the Mosfets are held by hot glue and AS3.. I did the same with my last RMA, only took about 2 hrs cleaning ;)

Could someone please give me some tips on taking out the pins and removing the nb passive sink from the A7N8X mobo without removing it from the case. If it requires case removal I'll do it over the weekend. Looking for the safest and easiest.

Thanks...

I got some tweezer things and pressed real hard, I got one out easy poped right out, but the other OHH man, I think I scratch the PCB prying that thing off.. But when I got it off I was happy, then on to the horrible Pink TIM. :(

Was the board still in the case or was it out of the case?

Thanks for the help thus far...

Depends on your case.... If you can see the 2 pins with the right side of the case off, then there ya go.

If not, then i guess you'd have to pull the MB, like i did....

For Northbridge, use a Iceberg!!!!! YEAH BABY!!! 12 bucks for an all copper iceberg on newegg.com :)

Rip all your cards out, unplug everything.. pull the mobo out..

The pins are easy as greazed ish to get out.. just get some wire cutters and Snip-snip-snippity-snip form the bottem..

I just slapped some frag on the iceberg, and yacked the 2 pins in.. be careful... bolt it back down, plug her up.. and take off.. about a 15 min job, in and out.. just like the corner of 8th street..

The iceberg comes with some frag, the all copper cooler, a cooler for the south.. and more frag.. and the pins.. and more stuff.. really a well put together kit..

Back