• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

updating bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you mean somthing that flashes the BIOS while in windows? That I don't know, but I know this is the way I do it.

Important Notes about BIOS Upgrades

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updating your BIOS constitutes a risk! If flashing goes wrong, it may render your motherboard unbootable thus requiring you to send your motherboard or BIOS chip in for re-flashing (RMA).

Only update your BIOS if it fixes your problem.
If your BIOS upgrade is available as only a .bin file, you will need to:

Download a copy of the program "Awdflash.exe".
Follow the instructions in KB Article 35 -- How do I flash my BIOS?
Optionally, follow the instructions in KB Article 36 -- Where can I download a boot disk for flashing my BIOS?
This BIOS update includes all updates that were made in previous BOIS.

Link to Award flash utility

And Instrutions on how to Flash your BOIS

i was just wondering if there was an easier way to do it i get nervous when i see that message this can mess stuff up message

Not from winblows XP.

It will from 98. By starting a DOS box.

Its not really that bad at all.

In truth it is safer to flash from basic DOS than Winblows with all its operands going on in the background while you flash.

You boot up with a DOS boot disk and only a really tiny little itty bitty part of memory is used. Not even a mouse driver. Just plain jane DOS kernel.

When using winblows. Anywhere from 20-100 Megs (thats a lot of data) is loaded into memory. With operands being executed all over the place.

Winflash is supposed to do this (but I have never tried and would stay with the old tried and true method, which I have used as well -- i.e., from a floppy).

Link

some later bios allow flashing during boot .awd flash embedded
in bios. your screen at post would say[ flash bios press f2] if not
follow the directions at soyo site and buyer beware, some of
soyos bios suck. if one doesnt work well for you try another.ive tried 2aa2 up to 2aa7 for mine stayed with 2aa5. if you screw up
just rma chip to soyo with $15 stamped sa envelope
or go to i think its bad bios.com or badflash or something

Back