• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

169 fsb limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heavy1

Hi guys, long time no see,

I'm having a prob getting my fsb past 169 and cant figure out why.

Here's what I got (Full Details)

Soltek SL-75FRN2 (nforce2)
Kingston HyperX PC3000 (1 512mb stick)
xp2400 tbred
gf3 ti200

The highest speed i've achieved is 2400 (15x160).
I can run at 169fsb at any multiplier below 15 and everything runs fine. As soon as i go to 170 it won't even boot. (I just get one long beep that repeats, on any multiplier).

It seems to me that this setup should run 170+ no problem but it won't. Ideally, I'd like to lower the multi and get the fsb up to its rated speed of 188 or higher.

Everything is set at "optimal" in bios. Vcore is 1.8v Click on My Computer for full details.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

it could be that your proc is just maxing out... try it with a lower multi. if that doesnt help it could be your board is maxing out... but that doesnt really seem right

Thanks Crash,

I got something figured out but not quite sure how or why. What I did is, In the bios, I set everything to aggressive (instead of optimal), 166x12. Then on reboot I noticed it said something about performance ram timings (which I hadn't seen before). Then I rebooted again, set the cpu to expert, put 200x 11.5 and bam! It's there!

I got greedy, went to 205 and no boot. Then after resetting, I had to go thru the same process to get it there again. (set it to aggressive/166, reboot then go to 200).
Kinda strange I have to do that but if I dont follow those steps, it won't boot up.

Anyway, Its there! Currently at 202x11.5 for 2331mhz!

Thanks,
Bill

To be on the safe side-- enter your RAM timings into the expert field. They are generally 7-3-3-2.5CL for most RAM. This will make sure that the "optimal" or "aggressive" setting is not toying with or raising the RAM timings.

Your board will defiantely go WAY past 169mhz fsb, as should the CPU. Be sure the RAM is kept within limits, and set it at it's default speed to avoid it being a bottleneck.

If you still believe it's a chipset limitation (highly doubtful), give it some extra VDD voltage.

Also some processors like higher FSB's more than others. If your processor doesn't seem to like higher FSB's, throw some more voltage at it to see if you can get it stable.

Good Luck!

Ah, you're finding the "cold boot" problem that some are speaking of on the AMD/Soltek message board. I haven't experienced this problem yet, and everyone seems to be pretty stumped as far as the cause - most are thinking power supply though.

I have a true power 550w, so you might need a stronger PSU to stop the cold boot problem..

-I also have my memory set to expert in the bios, but I'm running CL2 2-2-6-1T timings. -All depends on the quality of your memory.

Back