• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video error please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LocutusofBorg

Disabled
I dl a vid file and when i click on it it say that another prog is using it
i can not delete it or move it or rename it
if i rite click on it it will freeze my pc
i open task manager and explorer is going nuts
using 200+mb and 100% processor
if i shut down explorer all is good until i go near the file again
any idea what i can do so this does not happen

i also used adaware and spy sweeper and did an AV scan

fixed it using this method posted by a member at the [H]

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The fix for Windows XP not letting you delete .avi

I've seen this coming up more and more all over the place so I figured I'd stick it here.

Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCL
SID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines. Now go ahead and fix this royal pain in the ***!

RiG
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back