• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to seal my socket A

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really wouldnt. It will be completely impossible to ebver take off- silocone is only $5 bux or so.

Plus, if its the high temp kind, it might do some damage.

That stuff is pointless. It serves exatly the same purpose as silicone, but its much more expensive. You will need much more than that anyways if you want a good seal.

My advice:

Go to the hardware store and by a tube of silicone bath sealant- $5

Go to www.directron.com and buy their package (the one with a bunch of different sizes) of neoprene- $15

Go to an autoparts store and get a tube of dielectric grease- $3

+optional+ buy some liquid electrical tape from an electronics store and coat the mobo around the socket with it.

Make sure that after your done, the seal is airtight.

The silicone just goes around the outside of the socket and in the middle of the socket where the thermal diode is and on the back of the socket right? And then the dielectric grease goes in the pin holes and anywhere else you feel like it is necessary to put it?

Are you supposed to adhere *sp* the neoprene to the motherboard and pelt unit? Dielectric grease isn't adhesive, so I am kind of assuming you would use the silicone to attach it, right?

If you ever want to sell the motherboard , you might want to be able to at least peel some of the gook off!

Back