• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why do new CPU's burn?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfamousHindu

Everyone talks about there cpu's burning, well, i ahve a asus a7s333 and i have a watercooling kit. I've short circuited like atleasted 3 times, threw static at a couple times, had bout 4-5 water leaks on my ati 8500DV and on my mobo a couple time, but just with a little clean up, its still works like new. I don't get it, all this stuff happens to me, but it doens' affect it. And shouldn't your mobo turn off at a certain temp that the cpu reaches, cause mine does, i set it to 50C to shut off. why dont' u guys do taht

Not all motherboards have CPU thermal protection in the BIOS. And new chips probably burn out because of heatsinks not properly mounted on the CPU.

InfamousHindu said:
And shouldn't your mobo turn off at a certain temp that the cpu reaches, cause mine does, i set it to 50C to shut off. why dont' u guys do taht

I did that on a ECS board...and guess what...it didn't work...fired a 1800 Wensday night...the fan stopped working while I was asleep and work up to what sounded like a fire alarm going off...sitting there was a nicely fried XP1800 that had been my main folding rig...So even though I had it set to shut down, it did not work....

the fan of my P4 2.8 stopped once... i' m happy i got an ASUS mainbord... it just booted when it got to hot.. damn i couldn' t even touch the heatsink.... :S :S

Back