• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutting down you TEC PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I am a veteran WCer and have considered going the TEC route for quite some time, but several factors have prevented me from doing this. One of the major factors is an effective way to shut off the PSU for the TEC when your computer gets shutoff due to overheating or some other weird occurance.

Well I came across this while looking up WCing components for my new system. It is the Citicool PCI Relay Card and was wondering if you can somehow connect the PSU for your TEC to it. I mean all this is is a switch right? It detects if your CPU has power or not through your PCI bus and shuts off power to your pump when your computer is off. Do I have the concept behind this device right? If I do is there any reason why you can't hook up a TEC PSU to it?

Is there any other method of cutting power to your TEC's PSU if you computer ever shuts off that is not overly complicated? This is the biggest resaon I have not gone to TEC cooling yet, but if it can be solved I maybe cooling via TEC this summer. Thanks all.

While the Critcool Powerplant was designed to be really be used with a pump, I dont see why it wouldn't work with the Pelt PSU as well. However you could also get one of the SwiftTech Pump Relay Switch kits as well and not take up a PCI slot.

Just saw a better power relay switch at Cooltechnica similar to the one at Switftech sells. May go with that one instead.

Anyway, got two more questions for you guys along with the original question.

1. Does anybody know if DangerDen sell an upgrade kit to change your Maze3 to a Maze3-1. I noticed that there are an extra set of holes on the bottom of my Maze3 that seem to correspond to the mounting holes for the cold plate on the Maze3. (not the Skt A holes)

2. Now this is an extremely newb question, but is there a way to tell the hot side from the cold side of the TEC without powering it up? Thanks.

UPDATE: I sent an email to DangerDen in regards to the CritiCool Power Plant and they said that it wasn't designed to handle the extra juice that a TEC PSU needs so I will most likely get this one found at CoolTechnica. The Power Relay Switch II. They also have a Delay Timer Kit that they say is good to go with a TEC. Is this ture? Does anybody use the Delay Timer Kit? Thanks again.

Last edited:
For question 1, I know that DD sells cold plate separately, I think it's around 15$. Can't answer qeustion #2 because I haven't try TEC yet.

Back