• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the best Peltier unit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From looking at http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/ the Swiftech MCW478-UHT would be a little better than the Swiftech MCW5000-PT if you did the same mod that BillA did in his review of the MCW478. If you dont plan to do the mod though it looks like the MCW5000-PT would be the slightly better block. Both of these blocks use the 226W pelt which requires 24 amps of current. Most normal ATX PSU's cant deliver this kind of amperage but the Meanwell S-320 ( listed as the Samlex America 320W PSU on Sidewinder Computers ) is the PSU that SwiftTech recommends for their 226W pelt blocks. You can also mount this PSU in a 2 5.25" bay slots. Hope this helps.

So if I got the MCW5000, I could just stick with my Antec 400 watt PSU & everything would be okay?

You wont need insulated pipes for the water lines since the water will be well above ambient temperatures when the TEC is in use. As for using the 400W PSU you have, Im not positive of the rating on the 12 volt line of it but even if it is rated for 24amps that would mean you could have absolutely no other things on the 12 volt rail of the PSU. This means no fans, hard drives, cdrom drives, etc. So basically if you want to run a 226W pelt you NEED a seperate PSU to power the pelt. Most of the PSU's that are capable of 24amps on the 12V line are going to be over $100.

Last edited:
With that in mind, would I be better of trying to build my own watercooling or going with the Pelt?

Well since I am only speaking from the knowledge that I have learned through reading through many of the popular cooling message boards and not actual experiance with using pelts Id say just to start with watercooling and then possibly get into TEC cooling later. Many waterblocks on the market can have a peltier module added to them later. I think the best advice anyone is going to give you is to do your homework when it comes to both watercooling and TEC cooling. Like I said I have never set up a water or TEC cooled system but I browse though sites like Overclockers (US and AUS), Liquid Ninjas, Procooling, etc but the wealth of knowledge I have gotten from reading through posts at these sites has given me confidence that when I do finally set up my first system I will do it pretty good compared to someone who doesnt do at least a little bit of research. Hopefully some of the people who are vastly more experianced than I will give you some ideas on the parts you will need for a water or water+tec system but most of this knowledge can also be gained by just reading the board in posts already made.

Back