• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what type of cooling is best?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xan

hey guys, i was wondering what the best type of cooling is, i heard that some people use liquid nitrogen, is this the best? does it actually exist? because i am looking for the best cooling system if money is NOT an issue, i am prepared to spend up yo 2000$ on cooling at one time then mantenance. so if you guys know of a super awesome type of cooling please tell me what it is, post a price and post etheir a maker name or a link to a sight where i can research them.

P.S. i am a complete n00b to cooling other than heat sinks and fans so if you need diff cooling things for everything that will overheat tell me, im looking for the best COLDEST cooling solution for my whole computer. like every part, because im gunna be running 2 OC'd P4's from 3.06 to 5ghz (experimenting) and a RADEON ™ 9800 PRO 256MB which will be oc'd too. i will also have 2gb of OC'd DDR or SDRAM and the rest of my modded comp will prolly be running hot, so im looking for cooling that will not let any part of my computer ever pass 45degrees celcius. :D

any help is appreciated.

Thnx a million,
Xan

Last edited:
cooling is fun and all. id spend like 300 on cooling itself. i think thats already "over doing it." 2000 i think its literally overdoing it. i mean makineg your own refrigeration system will cost you around 200 dollars. why dont u spend that other 1800 on the system?

well anyways back to the post, i think watercooling is lots of fun and although it doesnt fit youare 2000 dollar budget, its around 100-400 dollars depending.

if u want to spend more money, id actually go for something like this:

1. http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Blocks/maze3.asp - the last block.
2. http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/Pump_eheim.asp - eheim 1260
3. http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/peltiers.asp - 226 watt peltier
4. http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Pelts/peltiers.asp - powersupply (theres only one on that page)
5. http://jpiperformance.com/xlr120.htm - xlr radiator

then tubing, fittings, watever

if ur interested more in that kinda setup just tell me and ill spend more time typing :D

To your first post:
o if i dont need it for the best cooling then i will use it for my system but basicly what i saying is i want to know the BEST of everything no matter the price cause i will get it. i really want the ultimate cooling so i can OC to the max and aslong as it isnt more than 2000 thats great and if it is less than 2000 then the rest will go to other things like the rest of my system.

To your second post:
..... i havent seen any of the sights yet, i'll post again in a sec.

Um, no offience meant here, but the type of person that slaps down a lot of money for something at the very top which they do not have any knowledge or experiance with; is the type of person that ends up breaking whatever he bought + damages to unfortunate property and people. Afterwards, they are so disgusted, they give up the <insert recreation/job/event here> never to return and always witha sour taste left in their mouth.

With that being said...

I say one of two ways...

1) First build a water cooling setup that can function on it's own, but is solely designed to later upgrade to TEC's...
--- if you want to learn what it's all about and have the experiance to fix it yourself once you have problems...
2) Just go out and buy a ready made phase change system...
--- if you just want it over with

Just be carefulw tih what you choose and listen to the people here... Ask questions!

The most momentous thing man ever did was create written language... If you don't like to read, you're not going to like this!

hmm for $2000 you can make a awesome phase-change unit that will chill water to -80c and then just pump that liquid into waterblocks that are mounted on the cpus, gpu, chipsets.

If you want something a little more simpler then you can buy 2 prometia for the cpus and then cool the gpu, and chipset using 80watt pelts and h20 cooling.

i think the ultimate cooling would be to get a liquid nitrogen plant and have it dump the ln2 into a small container mounted on top of the CPU. the base of this container would be made of CVD diamond. somehow, if possible, channels or small chips out of the CVD diamond would be made to increase turbulance / surface area.

hey if you're really interested in this tell me how much a ln2 plant costs b/c i havent been able to find any pricing on these.

i say folllow toysrme's plan. there is no really use of 2000 cooling. 300 dollars on the CPU is overkill... too much already. if u want it the fastest, just buy a P4 3ghz and overclock it with a prometia to 4ghz. but since it looks like your not that experienced, water ia a great start

look into this:

direct die cooling w/ vapor phase refrigeration using helium. you'll have to buy either a bunch of LN2 and a really big dewar or a ln2 plant to cool the condensor though.

here is the my theroy on the ultimate cooling. I call it the hindu theory. If you would get one 1000 Watt peltier( i know u can draw that much power straight from you regular 120V outlet caus they make 1500W microwaves) find a power source for it. and cool the hot side with the best phase changing system out there. And i'm positive that it would get u temps around -100C to -150C. Oh yeh, your electric bill will sky rocket.

Oh this is going to sound corny, but it’s about the journey, the experience if you will. Go ahead, buy the best prefab phase change cooling rig. You won’t be satisfied.

May I suggest as others have, start with a watercooled rig and learn. Then maybe try pelts or phase change. I guarantee you will have a lot more fun and what you learn in the process will be much more satisfying in the long run.

Colin said:
Oh this is going to sound corny, but it’s about the journey, the experience if you will. Go ahead, buy the best prefab phase change cooling rig. You won’t be satisfied.

May I suggest as others have, start with a watercooled rig and learn. Then maybe try pelts or phase change. I guarantee you will have a lot more fun and what you learn in the process will be much more satisfying in the long run.
this is exactly what i'm doing.

i had an offer for a nice psu for a 226W pelt for something i was selling but decided i should go with a regular water system before i get too far ahead of myself and get more complicated than i need.

i think i'll end up with a pelt+water setup as my final cooling rig.

Which would get you better temps? Vapochill on the cpu or vapochill to cool a resevoir for watercooling set up pump-blocks-rad-res? Either way, using the second method should get you some decent temps to cool all of your chips.

neither. how about a compressor ripped out of an old fridge (free) and hook it up to a either methanol or ethanol. that would get you some major low temps, i'm talkin -50C or colder if you set it up right and use the right charge of propane!

Cabe:
So how many refrigeration systems have you built?And how exactly do you "hook up" a compressor to methanol or ethanol? :rolleyes:
The term is chill the methanol or ethanol.
Now you may get -50c methanol temps, if your compressor is up to the job and you know what your doing when you build the system.But -40c is more like it.Liquid temps only, not cpu temps.

Also, if you went through the trouble of doing all that, then why even make an unefficient waterchiller when you can make it direct die fairly easy?

-50c is out of the question. -30c cpu temps MIGHT be obtainable if the compressor is big enough. Did you mean methane and ethane?? if so than you will never be able to condense it using a standard refrigeration unit.

no i was talking about secondary coolants. and what refrigerant did bowman use when he got -50C temps w/ direct die? wasn't it R22? ..i thought they (propane and R22) had about the same evap temp so about the same results would be possible.

Like I said -50c is possible for liquid temps but that is all.
Bowman never got -50c cpu temps, just -50c evap temps.His cpu was around -20c.Evap temps don't mean a whole lot.

Back