• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

partial POST - then freezes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nitewulf

This is a brand new computer just put together. I have had it boot up a few times, tweaked some bois settings etc. Today (its second day of existance) One of the bios settings I changed it didn't like. I cleared the CMOS and when i rebooted it said this:

CMOS checksum error: Press F1 to continue of DEL to enter setup. That's normal right?

Anyway, it booted into windows. I had the intent of putting memtest on a floopy. Only I found that I put the floopy cable in backwards. Turned off the machine, switched the cable around and rebooted. It did nothing, the monitor just sat there in standby. So I cleared the CMOS again, this time I forgot to put the jumper back to default position and turned on the computer. Oops! I turned it back off and set it properly. And now when it boots I get the following POST:

Finds CPU: OK
Memory: OK

Memory Frequency of DDR 400

after that line the screen is completly blank. Repeated efforts of clearing the cmos in conjunction with removing the battery have not yielded a different result. I removed everything except a stick of RAM in the first slot, CPU, and video card.

System Specs:

ABIT NF7-S Rev 2.0
1700 DLT3C
x2 256MB Corsair XMSC2
MSI Ti 4400
Lite-on 48x24x48
Samsung CDRW/DVD
80gig seagate barricuda

and.... a insane hsf setup. heh :) when my computer works ill show pictures. I gutted a 80mm fan and attached that the the SLK900. Ontop of that is a 80-120mm fan adapter. and on that is a120mm delta. This stickes out almost all the way to my door. its... BIG. well back to topic... any ideas? I realize that turning the computer on with the jumper in discharge posisition is not good. Would that damage parts of the bios? Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I can't even describe my level of frustration. Ive had horrible luck during this computers construction HORRIBLE. *reminds self to breathe*

**EDIT**

PSU: 430W Antec truepower
When it boots, everything beeps and blinks like its supposed to. Keyboard leds, hard drive, cdrom, motherboard etc. I did have the RAM overclocked last night. I ran it 210 and looped sandra memory benchmark 30 times. I dropped the multiplier to 5, so the CPU hasn't even been overclocked yet. I can't think of anything else relevent to add. Im going to go back downstairs and leave the jumper in discharge posistion over night... maybe when i wake up it'll want to cooperate.

Last edited:
*bump* is there anything I can do to fix this? or is it RMA time for my mobo?

I dont know how much juice would be drawn because of those 2 fans, are both of htem hooked up to one 3pin head or something?? Or are htey both on a molex? Im thinking it could be a power problem...but i havent ran into to many mobo problems :S

All three 120mm fans draw a total of about 30watts (12volts times .97amps). And they are all connected directly to the PSU. I doubt its a power supply issue. And it was working for a day without a problem. I really don't want to dismantle my case to get that board out.... and I attached a zalman heatsink to my southbridge w/ thermal adhesive... I always have problems when i put a cmoputer together *grumble*

Back