• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Overclock???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=TriX-R4-KidS=

I'm new to this overclocking scene...so I was wanting to know if my results thus far are good.

First of all...i am using the stock AMD palomino aluminum hsf unit...along w/ a generic 300w psu.

components:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ JIUHB
Generic DDR PC2100 RAM (6-3-3-CL 3 timings)
ATI Radeon 9000 64mb non-pro

CPU overclock: 203x11.5 41/56 temps @ 1.7v
RAM: DDR406 @ 6-3-3-CL 3.0 @ 2.9v
video: not overclockable....the video card drivers (cat 3.2) crash w/ even a 1 mhz overclock.

good or not?

the temps are already high...so i dont want to push the multiplier anymore....the fsb is maxed....all these setting are stable according to a 24 hour run of prime95 torture test.

I will soon be upgrading to better cooling.....either....some good priced water cooling or the best air-cooling available. along w/ a new power suppply....probably a 520w antec trupower. and some new RAM....maybe that oc-friendly twinmos if i can find any.

w/ these new components how much farther can I take this overclock?

-TriX

ps...the board is a nf7-s rev 2.0

There's no warranty of any kind of sucess with overclock. Good components like psu, mobo and mem plus good cooling are the foundation to a good overclock, but nothing are write in stone.
You could get a bad tbred b and it doesn't perform well, ocing less than 2.3ghz, or a good one, reaching 2.6ghz+
So, the only way to get good results are experimentation.

You're doing pretty good considering the rating on your memory and a weakish (for an NF7) PSU. I haven't noticed a huge temp increase from running high multipliers, unless I had to up the core voltage to do it. I would get a better heatsink/fan setup and then you can play with your core voltage a little, 1.7 is pretty low to be getting where you are now, your stock HSF is a joke if you want to OC, I'm sure you know that.

Last edited:
thanks for the info.

yep...i know the stock hsf is a joke : D.

I plan on getting some better cooling within the next couple weeks. along w/ faster RAM+PSU/CASE.

ive got a few questions before i upgrade the cooling though. how much would a pretty good water cooling setup cost? and on average..how high of an overclock could i see w/ either new water cooling or the best air cooling?

and yes this generic ram has surprised me too. (3100mb/s bandwidth :) ). ive maxed it out at these timings though.

-TriX

Back