• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

via kt600,will i be the first to test?and whos with me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
guys the kt600 has been released and id guess 2 months away from shelves.
http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/kt600.jsp

this will be via's answer to nforce2 really as the 400a is a joke in my books.
anyhow intgrated sata raid controller.
400fsb support. thats there means if they use deviders the 1/6th is in it.

i love my abit nf2 but i have some issues that make me want to see what via has to say.

to be honest i like agp locks but i dont like pci locks that arent adjustable.so deviders dont looks so bad once again.
also i like anything without this crappy silicon image sata raid controller.
and of course the bios problems have never been an issue with via.even tho they are about cleared up.

1st ill say im not gonna sell my rev2 nf7-s just to try one.ill buy it and the best one stays.
also if anyone spots a kt600 on the market pls post it here!

Go ahead and be the first Deathstar. I am more than happy with my 8rda+. Just got my 2nd one today that was a refurb from Newegg. I hope the KT600 will be some good competition for the NForce2. I really liked all my Via boards, but these Nvidia ones are pretty sweet too.

Seems like a good counter move to fight against the Nforce boards, but what I wonder is if this chipset will be compatible with the Athlon 64's (assuming they will ever come out). I have pretty much settled on my current computer and am not touching it until those have hit for a while, but I am not sure when they are coming out, I wonder if it will be delayed more since they are coming out with this new board. Any opinions?

Well in order for them to be compatible with the A 64's they will have to change the socket. Would be cool to see some KT600 Socket A's and some KT600 Socket 940 (or whatever the Athlon 64's will use).

Agreed, I am just losing faith in AMD, since it is so far overschedule. They should have gotten this chip out over a year ago, and I think it is hurting them in market share. It will be sweet to see what it can actually do when they get them to market, or should I say if they get them to market?

Yes the KT600 will have Synchronous running with the CPU at 400FSB. Yes the KT600 will have Native SATA support BUT only after the 2nd revision with the newer SouthBridge.

The Athlon64 chipset from VIA will be the K8T400M, no chance for the KT600 to support it even if they change the socket.

Even if this wouldnt support the AMD64. i honestly dont think ill need one :eek: This may be one of hte things i will spend money on, thinking of it as a waste and maybe somehting good :)

Of course, depending on MY cash amount at the time this comes out, or if its close the x-mas/bday i may get it :D (and that would be it :eh?: )

count me in deathstar! as soon as Abit gets a fix on it, i'll be having one! about time via has upped the anny. the 1/6 divider is going to be nice:D i'm already running 400mhz fsb on the kt 400.

not many ,but some kt400/333 mobos would do 200-210 fsb but the deviders made it hell on pci and agp busses.

ive not read wether it will be deviders or locks.im hoping deviders or if its locks at least give adjustable pci options.since it is 400fsb rated it has to be locks or the 1/6th devider or they will be sued for sure after the last fiasko.

i will say what ever i buy of the kt600 will be made buy asus,epox or abit.i like only those 3 for ocing mobos of course.

even then they can screw up a mobo for ocing. i compared my older asus a7v333 wich would over volt anything to toast to the a7n8x which wouldnt pump no voltage enough to get warm.now how asus could go from one extreme to the other i have no clue.

i hope abit gets the first one out but unlikely as they tend to put more time,thought,testing into it before shipping and are usually last.but hey look how bad the original nf7-s was.

epox MIGHT get it right since they seem to have learned alot and actually incorperated many wants user screamed about over the 8rda and the 8rda3+,good job but they were dumb as hell as they still added a no active cooling on the NB even with vdd bios options wich will fry the chipset if not properly cooled.
and then they added the crappiest of all silicon image sata controller on it.

just goes to show they try but often goof up.but still they are better than the others at making great ocing mobos.

The KT600 will in fact have a 6:2:1 ratio. I was also mistaken about my information regarding the SB, it will have native SATA support in it's first revision. What I'm not sure is such a good idea is the integrated RAID 0, 1 & 0+1 with it since VIA isn't really the best when it comes to IDE performance.

Will this be the last chipset before the switch to the K8T400M? I hope not.

sonny you must be the mobo fact guy :D always on top of the new stuff and the small facts people can never seem to find. :D

ill need the sata myself since im blessed with raptors.
ususally i saw most via mobos with ide raid use high point or promise lite controllers.ive had no problems with them but they eat alot of cpu cycles tho.not as good as a seperate pci raid card.

i think the socketA form will be around alot longer than even amd wants. price is the reason,and if they dont sell enough 64 hammer stuff they will be history and we wont have anything amd.i think both can live next to each other especially till 64 stuff drops in price.

but i do see the socket A chips starting to top out at 2.5-2.7ghz
thats gonna take a .09 die size and im not sure anyone will ever get that right.ive not been following it much but last i looked it wasnt going so well.

There was an intresting review on the web which I saw a few days ago, comparing the 400 FSB nForce2 to the KT600 - and the KT600 won. I think it was at [H]ardocp. Anyway, they weren't able to overclock the KT600, but it still sounds kind of intresting. Does anyone know if it uses Dual-DDR?

Another thing that I'd like to consider is what process it is manufactured on. I know that the nForce2 is at least one generation ahead of the the KT400, which is why there is the disparity in performance, but the KT600 could well even it out, or even better it...

Either way, I'd be prepared to bet it's one nice chipset :)

I just read to much I guess, like in the link you posted above:D

Well the thing with the OnBoard RAID for the KT600 is that it will be integrated to the SB, that's the reason why I have some doubt.

What we really need is for the manufacturers to take out all the damn onboard sound, onboard NIC/LAN, onboard modem & have adjustable voltages for EVERYTHING with enough range to fry it.

DUAL Channel DDR is not going to be used, FastStream64 is what they call their supposedly more efficient & faster technology, DC-DDR is also a real waste on an AMD system.

The link above has a lot of info.

Will this be the last chipset before the switch to the K8T400M? I hope not.

Actually the KT400 was the last chipset. Well, it was supposed to be, but then they changed their minds and made the KT400a the last one. And now they've changed their minds again... They claim this is the last socket A chipset, but that means nothing...

flux said:

Actually the KT400 was the last chipset. Well, it was supposed to be, but then they changed their minds and made the KT400a the last one. And now they've changed their minds again... They claim this is the last socket A chipset, but that means nothing...

I don't think they would do it unless AMD was still struggling with getting the new chips out. I think this also means that you can expect more delays!

What we really need is for the manufacturers to take out all the damn onboard sound, onboard NIC/LAN, onboard modem & have adjustable voltages for EVERYTHING with enough range to fry it.
i highley agree!:D
well keep the sound onboard as i hate buying sound cards.kinda useless for me really as im not much an audiophile.but need one for my leadtech tv tuner and a few other things.

but every other option could be done away with. and make room for adjustable high settings on anything that needs voltages.
kinda like the old late 60's early 70's hotrods. no frills and all engine!
take the saved money from the frilly stuck put that into cooling on the mobo and wham! instant killer oc mobo. epox almost got it right with the 8rda3+ but added the useless silicon image sata controller,and skimped on mobo cooling again.

asus did it right on the a7v333 but the chipset is almost outdated now.but the voltage options once you find the hidden jumpers made it insanly overvoltable.

Well after going thru the "Test BED Syndrome" for the motherboard companies Ill wait till the boards mature fully. My back pocket is quite unhappy thus far with the b.s. that was offered at first from the companies.

Nice, bring on the competition!

Looks like I might buy one more socket a motherboard to replace my 8kha+. I don't really care which one it is, as long as it can reach very high fsb's, and works stable. I don't care about anything integrated into the motherboard either. I'm currently running the 8kha+ at 166-170fsb, but don't feel like pushing it further. The lack of 1/5 or 1/6 dividers is a bit annoying...

Back