• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS = NIGHTMARE ! Stay away from it !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G|-|oST

Here is my nightmare story with an ASUS A7N8X-DLX. I bought the board (turned out to be 1.04) at a local retailer, brought it home. First thing it does is come up with 'CPU overspeed' message on the very first boot, even thought everything was stock, no OC. So after some fiddling it was kinda working but still random reboots here and there. After a few days of this I decided to RMA the thing, and sent it off to ASUS.

It has now been A MONTH (!) and guess what - they shipped me a new board thought UPS and stupid UPS lost it. So now when I call UPS they just say they are still looking for it, and by the sounds of it they could be still looking for it forever. They also said that they are liable to the SHIPPER (ASUS) and not to me, so basically if anyone is getting reimbursed for this it will be ASUS. So I call ASUS again, (long distance from Canada, no 800 support number), and tell them this, but of cousre they don't care about my situation, they said that since UPS is technically still looking for it, they can not send me another board on the off chance that I might end up with two.

As it stands now, I paid money for a brand new product over a month ago, and all I have to show for it is the box it came with and some cables and driver CD. This is the worst experince in computer hardware and customer service I have ever come across.

Ever.

I had a defective monitor once, and the manufacturer fixed it so much better - they got my VISA number for security, shipped me a new one, and I sent the defective one back once I received the new one. Simple, effective, and intelligent. I asked ASUS about something like this, but guess what - ''Mmm... No we don't do that..."

Whatever you do, don't buy ASUS products. No quality, no support, no customer service, not even a freakin 1-800 number. I guess all the "buy Abit or Epox" threads are true.

I am very close to just buying an NF7-S myself, and if and when this clears up, I will have a brand new A7N8X-DLX for sale. Cheap.

True that ASUS has poor support, but I would not say they are a bad company. Tell us what kind of RAM and CPU you have. There may be some kind of problem. If you will look in most benchmarks, the A7N8X many times comes out on top as the best benchmarking mobo. They should, however, get an 800 number. It's ridiculous to make consumers pay to get tech support. Also, why wouldn't the retail store just give you a new one?

I am using an XP1700+ DLT3C 0310WPMW (don't we all). 512 Infenion PC2700 RAM (its not the greatest but it works). The store has a 3 day return policy, and after that they 'assist' customers to RMA to manufacturer. So it took me a few days of trying diff settings to figure out the board was pooched, and after that I had no choice but deal with ASUS.

Overall an Abit or Epox are both cheaper and seem to have less problems.

You know, the problem COULD be your RAM. There are certain types of Generic RAM that run extremely unstable over pc2100. If you get corsair or mushkin you will not have this problem, but it just may have been your RAM. Also, about the CPU overspeed, you shouldn't be getting that, but you said that went away with some tweaks right? The board may have been tested before given to you and whoever tested it put weird settings.

Sweet! I got me three stars now! LOL:p

Seems VERY premature to blame ASUS for your troubles. You say it was defective and you RMA'ed it, but what you describe might be solved with a little bios tweaking. I got the same warning with my 2800+ when I changed the multiplier, so its not always what it seems. I think you need to take a step back, take a breath, when you get everything back, slow down, and take your time.

Good luck

Cheers

Mmmm... No. The board WAS defective, thats for sure. Not even ASUS themselves would deny that. I spent 3 days switching components back and forth between my friend's system and mine - all of my other parts worked fine before the new mobo, and still worked fine in my friends board (A7N8X-DLX rev. 2.0). That is not what my main problem is. I completely understand that nothing is perfect and that electronics break down. What I am mostly ****ed off about is the way they handled the situation. This is where a proper solution will impress a customer and reassure them of the fact that the company stands behind their own product. ASUS should realize that the last thing I would want to do, after paying good money for a mobo, is to pack it up and send it away and wait forever, all while checking up on the status of it via long distance phone calls. I wish they would learn the meaning of 'customer service' - example of that being the monitor scenario I described, thats all.

well i send my asus board back to asus twice..and ups never lost my package.
i don't think asus is not that bad, its just their customer service
you should try Http://helpdesk.asus.com and file a complain
you should prove some evidence to asus that they have lost the package and you don't have time to wait for them to find it.
its unlike for ups to lost the package..1 out of 100 million chance

Amen to that! The earlier version of the A7N8X board (1.4 and 1.6) had issues with the infinion memory and a latter bios took care of it. I believe it was 1002 final or 1003. I'm not sure which. I just checked the asus board and the site is down from here.

G|-|oST said:
Here is my nightmare story with an ASUS A7N8X-DLX. I bought the board (turned out to be 1.04) at a local retailer, brought it home. First thing it does is come up with 'CPU overspeed' message on the very first boot, even thought everything was stock, no OC. So after some fiddling it was kinda working but still random reboots here and there. After a few days of this I decided to RMA the thing, and sent it off to ASUS.

It has now been A MONTH (!) and guess what - they shipped me a new board thought UPS and stupid UPS lost it. So now when I call UPS they just say they are still looking for it, and by the sounds of it they could be still looking for it forever. They also said that they are liable to the SHIPPER (ASUS) and not to me, so basically if anyone is getting reimbursed for this it will be ASUS. So I call ASUS again, (long distance from Canada, no 800 support number), and tell them this, but of cousre they don't care about my situation, they said that since UPS is technically still looking for it, they can not send me another board on the off chance that I might end up with two.

As it stands now, I paid money for a brand new product over a month ago, and all I have to show for it is the box it came with and some cables and driver CD. This is the worst experince in computer hardware and customer service I have ever come across.

Ever.

I had a defective monitor once, and the manufacturer fixed it so much better - they got my VISA number for security, shipped me a new one, and I sent the defective one back once I received the new one. Simple, effective, and intelligent. I asked ASUS about something like this, but guess what - ''Mmm... No we don't do that..."

Whatever you do, don't buy ASUS products. No quality, no support, no customer service, not even a freakin 1-800 number. I guess all the "buy Abit or Epox" threads are true.

I am very close to just buying an NF7-S myself, and if and when this clears up, I will have a brand new A7N8X-DLX for sale. Cheap.

Just because UPS lost your motherboard doesn't mean ASUS are a bad company at all. Why should they send you another motherboard because of another companies fault. ASUS are right in saying that they cannot send you another one until they have been reimbursed.

About the ASUS motherboard, which you had, problems with, that might not be your motherboard, might be another component. If it is motherboard then its bad luck. I had same problem with Gigabyte motherboard. However I have had nothing but greatness from my ASUS board.

jonjay, clearly you are not understanding the meaning of what I wrote, even though you do seem to understand SOME of the words.

If you learn to understand complete sentences, you will find that what I was saying about ASUS is NOT what you thought. First, of course they are not a bad company, BECAUSE UPS lost my board. But then again, I never said that in the first place. I was criticizing their customer service, and the way they handled certain sitiations.

Second, I already mentioned that the problem was narrowed down to the board by replacing and switching components, so down the toilet goes your next statement. While we are at it, saying a defective product is bad luck is retarded - this is not a lottery, I shouldn't need 'luck' to have a working product.

P.S. I hope I didn't use too long of words or sentences for you. Otherwise you might get confused again.

Nice system BTW.

G|-|oST said:
jonjay, clearly you are not understanding the meaning of what I wrote, even though you do seem to understand SOME of the words.

If you learn to understand complete sentences, you will find that what I was saying about ASUS is NOT what you thought. First, of course they are not a bad company, BECAUSE UPS lost my board. But then again, I never said that in the first place. I was criticizing their customer service, and the way they handled certain sitiations.

Second, I already mentioned that the problem was narrowed down to the board by replacing and switching components, so down the toilet goes your next statement. While we are at it, saying a defective product is bad luck is retarded - this is not a lottery, I shouldn't need 'luck' to have a working product.

P.S. I hope I didn't use too long of words or sentences for you. Otherwise you might get confused again.

Nice system BTW.

That was rather uncalled for, flaming is not welcome here...

I've had nothing but good experiences with Asus. You got a bad board... so what, it happens. It is not common practice for any company to send you a new board before you send them the defective one, in a RMA situation. You should be flaming UPS for losing the package, that's bad luck.... It's also bad luck to get a defective board, they aren't all defective, and there is no way to screen them all....

BTW the CPU Overspeed warning is normal on the first boot. At least for my Deluxe and 2700+. :)

Back