• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S 2.0 = Ultra400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

e laursen

Folding for Mom
I am a click away from ordering the NF7-S 2.0, but I just want to be sure I am not being 1 week early in my decision. I have been reading to figure out what is different with the Ultra400 boards, but I can't find anything that indicates there is any difference. I just don't want to jump a week before an updated board comes out (like some did with the 1.2 version).

Anyone know what is different w/ the Ultra400?

thanks so far...

I have been scouring web for details on the chipset and can't find any functional changes listed, just chipset stepping. Some of the reviews of the "ultra400" have used the NF7-S 2.0 and just mentioned the chipset. The giga-byte board has 4 DIMM slots, which makes me wonder and ask this question...

The Blazer said:

nForce3 Pro is for the Opteron, most likely because nForce3 will be for the Athlon 64.

It seems I'm not alone to think that. ;)

Fair enough. Is there much information on the nForce3, non-pro? nVidia's site doesn't have anything. For that matter, it doesn't say much about the improvements for the Ultra400 either, just official 200MHz fsb. Doesn't look like nForce 3 is for K7 chips... which leaves the Ultra400 for the K7 (XP, barton).

thanks

isn't the nf7-s v2.0 essentially an ultra400 since it officialy supports the 400mhZ fsb...and has been proeven to do 400 and much more time and time again...or is there something else different about the board?

treepop said:
isn't the nf7-s v2.0 essentially an ultra400 since it officialy supports the 400mhZ fsb...and has been proeven to do 400 and much more time and time again...or is there something else different about the board?

That is exactly my question, "... is there something else different about the board [the Ultra400 based]." I guess we'll just have to wait until "official" Ultra 400's hit the shelves. Based on a lack of information to the contrary, I am inclined to believe there is nothing new... just checking. I may end up waiting until the middle of next week before I buy.

yes is the answer. i cant remember where i read it, but all boards with the c1-stepping chipset are actually ultra-400's, since that is the ONLY difference between the two.

I have recently bought a NF7 2.0 and it rocks... see sig
I have tried allsorts of ram corsair 3200,geil3700,mushkin3500 modules and muskin preformed the best in the tests I have done.
This board is stable @200fsb+ but if the ram is crap well regardless you will have issues...I see alot of people in the forum with NF2 boards with the Geil ram (3200<3500,3700)...that ram is the WORST preformer I have encountered in regards to overclocking, as I have tested all flavours of Geil on NF2 and KT boards.
Lastly...If this new revision is the ultra...well hey good stuff!!

Kewel :cool:

I got the Ultra400 and I didn't even know it until now.

With that new beta bios upgrade, it rocks even more :D

Here's my beta bios doc.

Beta BIOS release 14 beta 1 for NF7-S/NF7 v2.0

Release information:

[ENGLISH]

0. Please use AWDFLASH 8.23D or later to update NF7 series BIOS. With
incorrect AWDFLASH version, the GUID will be erased, and leads to
IEEE1394 peer to peer function failed. AWDFLASH 8.23K is included in
this BIOS package.
1. Fixed CPU temperature too high issue.
2. Raised highest CPU FSB up to 300 MHz for "user define mode" in SoftMenu.
3. Fixed SATA RAID-0 data corruption issue by adding a new option "EXT-P2P's
Discard Time" in "integrated Peripherals". The default setting is "30 us"
; which is recommended by NVidia. In case the problem is still there, try
"1 ms" please.
4. Changed DDR400 DRAM timing according to NVidia's recommendation.
5. Updated BPL to v3.01 according to NVidia's recommendation.
6. BIOS Compile Date: 5/14/2003.

e laursen
I am confussed....seing is that I already have sata on my abit v2.0 board what is the difference?......also I am not really concerned with gigabit ethernet....I do not see myself every needing more then 100mbit for now....as my harddrive is the bottle neck not the 100mbit...just my 2 cents :D

treepop,

I agree, but the SATA today is not native (like canterwood), it's a separate chip. However, I'll never have more than 2 hard drives, and not likely I'll buy a couple of big SATA drives before it's time to get another MB anyway(I upgrade about every 3 yrs). So I don't think the SATA thing will be a big deal for me... just nice to have as much longevity as possible. (I still regret not getting the BE6-II with ATA100 on board, BF6 has ATA33.)

I ordered from newegg and gameve today. Got NF7-S, 512Mb XMS3200, and 1700+. Can't wait... look below at the crap I am running. lol. :D

Back